My Qnap cloud nas

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
mgiazzi
Starting out

My Qnap cloud nas

Post by mgiazzi »

I am thinking of setting up my qnap cloud nas and wondered once set up will it be possible to access my twonkymedia using the twonky beam app on my Android phone to play my music from outside my home network? It works great within my home network and would be even better if I could get to use it anywhere, ie on holiday etc. Hope someone can advise me, Regards..

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
pwilson
Guru

Re: My Qnap cloud nas

Post by pwilson »

mgiazzi wrote:I am thinking of setting up my qnap cloud nas and wondered once set up will it be possible to access my twonkymedia using the twonky beam app on my Android phone to play my music from outside my home network? It works great within my home network and would be even better if I could get to use it anywhere, ie on holiday etc. Hope someone can advise me, Regards..
You would need to install OpenVPN to make this possible. DLNA uses "Broadcasts" so your Android will not find any of your DLNA Servers on your network unless it is on the same network segment. If you implement OpenVPN on both your NAS and on your Android, both devices would be in the same network segment when connected via OpenVPN.

I can confirm that it definitely works with OpenVPN, so you might want to check the VPN Services section of the fine manual (for whatever Version/Build of the Firmware that you are using) to figure out how to install OpenVPN on your NAS.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
mgiazzi
Starting out

Post by mgiazzi »

I have the ts-212 with firmware version 4.05 0117 build. Is it fairly straightforward to install open vpn as I am not that confident in using putty with ssh. On my Android device do I install an app for openvpn? Otherwise would it be easier just to use the qmusic app to play my music outside my home network? My music collection is 98% flac so qmobile will not work as it only support mp3. Thanks for your response..

pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

mgiazzi wrote:I have the ts-212 with firmware version 4.05 0117 build. Is it fairly straightforward to install open vpn as I am not that confident in using putty with ssh. On my Android device do I install an app for openvpn? Otherwise would it be easier just to use the qmusic app to play my music outside my home network? My music collection is 98% flac so qmobile will not work as it only support mp3. Thanks for your response..

There are several available in the Google Play store. Just search for OpenVPN.

I use OpenVPN Connect on all my Androids, (all running different version of Android OS). It did however take "special instructions" to make it work. Check out article: Re: OpenVPN & android - What am I doing wrong? for instructions.

It's a bit of a pain to set it up this way, but it works very well once it is configured following qwalter's advice provided in that thread.

I give him "full credit" for the solution. I similarly give "full credit" to the "Advanced search" button for helping me find this solution. (There are many OpenVPN clients in the Google Play Store, but this is the only one provided by OpenVPN.net)..

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

mgiazzi wrote:My music collection is 98% flac so qmobile will not work as it only support mp3.
Qmobile and it's NAS host Multimedia Station are legacy - convert to Music Station and Qmusic - playing FLAC like a charm. No need to deal with VPN at all.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

mgiazzi wrote:My music collection is 98% flac so qmobile will not work as it only support mp3.
Qmobile and it's NAS host Multimedia Station are legacy - convert to Music Station and Qmusic - playing FLAC like a charm. No need to deal with VPN at all.
mgiazzi
Starting out

Post by mgiazzi »

Many thanks for your advice which I will try at the weekend....

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”