Does qnap cloud upload files on external servers?

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
arginine
Know my way around

Does qnap cloud upload files on external servers?

Post by arginine »

Hello,

Sorry for this weird question but I was wondering if enabling qnap cloud service will upload files "somewhere on a qnap web server (like dropbox)" or not ?

What I would like to setup is a cloud service where the files are localized in my NAS only (not somewhere in the internet). And yes, I would like to access to these files via mobile devices (i understand that my upload speed from my ISP can be a limitation)

F
pwilson
Guru

Re: Does qnap cloud upload files on external servers?

Post by pwilson »

arginine wrote:Hello,

Sorry for this weird question but I was wondering if enabling qnap cloud service will upload files "somewhere on a qnap web server (like dropbox)" or not ?

What I would like to setup is a cloud service where the files are localized in my NAS only (not somewhere in the internet). And yes, I would like to access to these files via mobile devices (i understand that my upload speed from my ISP can be a limitation)

F
The myQNAPcloud service is really nothing more than a glorified DDNS (Dynamic DNS) service, and access portal. It does not house any of your data.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
arginine
Know my way around

Post by arginine »

Hello pwilson,

Thanks and I'm pleased that you confirm that any of my data will be housed somehow on the snap server.

worth to ask (and I expect a negative answer)
- does this glorified DDNS service could be setup on custom ports ?
- Does this glorified DDNS service could be use also for replacing a no-ip.com account for http server ?

F
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

arginine wrote:
worth to ask (and I expect a negative answer)
- does this glorified DDNS service could be setup on custom ports
Yes and No. :shock:

QNAP's myQNAPcloud portal is on standard ports 80/TCP or 443/TCP like most public Websites. That said, you don't need to use this portal at all after the initial setup. (I never use the Portal at all).

You can operate your NAS Sevices on any ports you want. So in the context you are asking about, the answer is basically "Yes". (I personally choose to leave my services on standard ports, as this makes it work as documented, and makes troubleshooting easier to do).
arginine wrote:- Does this glorified DDNS service could be use also for replacing a no-ip.com account for http server ?
Absolutely not. You can have multiple DDNS services pointing to your external IP address, and having more than one is required if you want to use the Virtual Host feature of the Web Server provided by the Firmware. (I use 3 different DDNS services here).

If you are satisfied with your no-ip,com DDNS service, and don't intend to use the Virtual Host feature, then you really don't need to use the myqnapcloud service at all. You can continue to connect to your NAS using your no-ip,com address.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”