Cloud address goes to my Router

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
squeaky
New here

Cloud address goes to my Router

Post by squeaky »

Hi guys

Sorry for the probably idiotic question but I can't seem to get my http://xxx.myqnapcloud.com/ address to do anything other than go directly to my router (an Asus RT-N66U) - amongst other things it means none of my shared links work either. What tutorial have I missed? (take it easy on me this is my first nas box!) - I have a TS-112P

Any help appreciated
Don
Guru

Re: Cloud address goes to my Router

Post by Don »

Did you forward the proper ports in the router? Do you have remote router admin turned on and it is using one of the ports that you are trying to use?
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
squeaky
New here

Post by squeaky »

Hi Don

I don't have any port forwarding setup - I'm not sure which ports / port range I need to complete in the boxes.

I DO have a remote access setup on the router so I can access via xxx.asuscomm.com - which i think uses port 8080
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

squeaky wrote:Hi Don

I don't have any port forwarding setup - I'm not sure which ports / port range I need to complete in the boxes.
Can't help you. Only you know what ports you are trying to access.
squeaky wrote:I DO have a remote access setup on the router so I can access via xxx.asuscomm.com - which i think uses port 8080
If you are trying to access 8080 on your NAS it will never make it because 1) you are using that port for remote router administration, 2) you did not forward any ports. You need to pick a different router port for remote administration. IMHO it is a bad idea to enable remote router admin from the internet. If you need to do this it should be done via VPN assuming your router supports VPN.

The router could have ports forwarded by the NAS using UPnP assuming 1) the router supports UPnP, 2) you have enabled it on the router, 3) you have enabled in on the NAS. Again IMHO it is a bad idea to use UPnP. Any program running on any device on your local network could use UPnP to open and forward ports on the router without your knowledge. This is a big security issue. I never use UPnP and forward the ports I need to the device it needs to go to myself. I want to know exactly what is going where.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
squeaky
New here

Post by squeaky »

Thanks Don

I've taken your advice and switched off the remote web access to the router.

I've also found the cloud / network settings on the qnap gui and set a static ip for the nas, and click the link for it to 'apply to router'

i can now access the nat via xxx.myqnapcloud.com:8080

but still do not understand what I'd have to put in port forwarding to allow the above address without specifying port - any clues to that bit?
squeaky
New here

Post by squeaky »

Thanks for your help Don.. got it..found the list of ports on port forward website - so I now understand the convention used to complete the boxes if not necessarily the security issues they are meant to fix and handle.

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”