Issue with WAN IP

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
kcastillo
First post

Issue with WAN IP

Post by kcastillo »

I noticed an issue recently with the WAN IP of my qnap drive. It's a TS-459U+ model.

So at the office I work at we have two seperate connections with a pfsense router that handles a multi-wan setup. In this set up there is a fail over should either connection fail.
So last week one of our connections failed, and everything want over to our second connection. Except for the qnap. I could not access it from outside our network. Which is a huge problem.

I've discussed things at length with both my second ISP (megapath) and with Netgate (pfsense) support. On their ends and in my setup there is no reason for qnap not to fail over as well.

The only thing I can think of with qnap is that it keeps a set wan ip under the myqnapcloud ddns service. The set wan IP is that of my first wan. Looking in the logs I see it switching back and forth between the two randomly.

Is there no way to automate, or manually change this?
schumaku
Guru

Re: Issue with WAN IP

Post by schumaku »

Not a NAS issue at all, here is why...
kcastillo wrote:The only thing I can think of with qnap is that it keeps a set wan ip under the myqnapcloud ddns service. The set wan IP is that of my first wan. Looking in the logs I see it switching back and forth between the two randomly.

If your router configuration does not bind the NAS LAN IP to one WAN IP, it will do kind of outgoing load distribution, making use of both Internet connections (what might make some sense for a generic workstation computer). that's causing the ping-pong - obvious a router configuration issue, nothing the NAS can do...

If you want to NAT your router to the NAS LAN IP, only one WAN IP can be NATed to the same port. Again, a router configuration issue. If done correctly, the myQNAPclud.com name will resolve to the correct WAN IPv4 address, and stick there.

If you expect the NAS being reachable from outside on both connections - not at the same time - this is a router configuration issue (or a very special feature in fact): The router must bind the NAS to one IP address, and configure the NAT rules accordingly. If the active uplink fails, the router must reconfigure the routing/binding to the active interface, and update the NAT entries. with the next check, the myQNAPcloud.com (or another DNS service) check will find the different WAN IP, and update the name accordingly.

If you expect a corporate class service making use of all network connections, and keeping the IP addresses, you need to find _one_ ISP offering a multi-homing environment, typically the ISP will install a router doing BGP4 then (or you have to configure it accordingly).

All simple IP routing questions in fact. With two cheepo ISP and a simple router, there is nothing more you can do.

Regards,
-Kurt.

PS. I don't know much about pfsense - however, I'd expect a business doing pfsense support should be able to guide you to the limits of a dual-WAN configuration with your ISP setup, and with business grade ISP BGP controlled connections ... and not delegate this to a NAS community support. In general, I'm writing invoices for this kind of consulting. :oops:

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”