Windows 10 VM limitations as PC replacement on TVS-1282?

wacko37
Getting the hang of things

Windows 10 VM limitations as PC replacement on TVS-1282?

Post by wacko37 »

Hi All,

Firstly I started this tread http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=123111 which was getting off topic and i have realized that i need to know a lot more about Qnap's Virtualization Station and VM's

Very interested in the possibility of a VM fully replacing a windows PC, this would all be based on the new TVS-1282 which has the option of adding an ATI R7 or R9 graphics card.

Sadly information on this is very limited after many hours of googling.

As the topic states can a VM replace my Intel NUC d54250wyk which i use for Kodi and general tasks like internet browsing, YouTube etc, the biggest program would be Photoshop for light video editing

And if a graphics card is added could i do light gaming on the VM

Thanks
Spider99
Experience counts

Re: Windows 10 VM limitations as PC replacement on TVS-1282?

Post by Spider99 »

are you familiar with using vm's and are you aware of the limitations that come with it?

what processor are/have you looking at - how much memory

photoshop and gaming are going to be some of the biggest struggles for a vm - memory and cpu hogs - not impossible but...

normal win computing should be fine on the vm as long as you have enough cpu power and memory available

Do you find the nuc slow/under powered

An alternative might be to get a cheaper nas and invest in a newpc/skull canyon NUC (impressed with mine) and you might save a few pound :)

its your choice obviously but thought i would pose a few things to think about

Have fun
Tim

TS-853A(16GB): - 4.3.4.0483 - Static volume - Raid5 - 8 x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
Windows Server + StableBit Drivepool and Scanner ~115 TB Backup Server
TS-412 & TS-459 Pro II: Retired
Clients: 3 x Windows 10 Pro(64bit)
wacko37

Post by wacko37 »

Spider99 wrote:are you familiar with using vm's and are you aware of the limitations that come with it?
Please please explain, i have been google this for weeks but to no avail, especially within a Qnap environment (not sure if that makes any difference)?

Can I plug in and USB devices (web cam, Phone, etc) and expect it to show up automatically within any VM?
what processor are/have you looking at - how much memory
Will definitely be the Qnap TVS-1282 i7 with 32gb ram and a ATI R9 GPU
photoshop and gaming are going to be some of the biggest struggles for a vm - memory and cpu hogs - not impossible but...
Gaming will be very light family entertainment stuff, racing, sports etc, Photoshop is the biggest program i have installed on my NUC but is used very rarely
normal win computing should be fine on the vm as long as you have enough cpu power and memory available
The TVS 1282 should be ok i thinks???
Do you find the nuc slow/under powered
No not at all, If the VM can run as well as that does i would be more than happy, although my NUC definitely does not have a R9 GPU attached :DD :DD :DD
An alternative might be to get a cheaper nas and invest in a newpc/skull canyon NUC (impressed with mine) and you might save a few pound :)
Good advise indeed, this is slightly similar to my current setup (NUC and Qnap 459 pro ii), as i mentioned before consolidating all these into one devices is appealing, the whole VM thing interests me even more (windows, linux, Mac) all running together, and i can re-flash back to any snapshot with ease
its your choice obviously but thought i would pose a few things to think about

Have fun
Yes!!! this is most important, new toy with plenty of tinkering!!!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

open a ticket with QNAP support/sales and see if the GPU can be passed to the VM, according to their website it can't (at least the NAS is not on the GPU pass through featured list)
wacko37

Post by wacko37 »

dolbyman wrote:open a ticket with QNAP support/sales and see if the GPU can be passed to the VM, according to their website it can't (at least the NAS is not on the GPU pass through featured list)

Thanks mate i will contact when i return home (end of month) I will update the result here.
Spider99
Experience counts

Post by Spider99 »

before you invest in the new nas on the expectation of using it for everything i would experiment with VM's to see what experience you get

i think the VStation in qnap is a modification on kvm ( i might be wrong on this) give it a search i have seen a few posts on it

or try vmware/virtualbox on you nuc (assuming you have enough ram) - i have used vmware workstation with the vm stored on my nas bit slow to start but after that it was fine
Tim

TS-853A(16GB): - 4.3.4.0483 - Static volume - Raid5 - 8 x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
Windows Server + StableBit Drivepool and Scanner ~115 TB Backup Server
TS-412 & TS-459 Pro II: Retired
Clients: 3 x Windows 10 Pro(64bit)
wacko37

Post by wacko37 »

Spider99 wrote:before you invest in the new nas on the expectation of using it for everything i would experiment with VM's to see what experience you get

i think the VStation in qnap is a modification on kvm ( i might be wrong on this) give it a search i have seen a few posts on it

or try vmware/virtualbox on you nuc (assuming you have enough ram) - i have used vmware workstation with the vm stored on my nas bit slow to start but after that it was fine
Cheers mate for the advise. I will contact Qnap regarding the TVS-1282 capabilities, but in the mean time i may try as you have suggested
attorianzo
Starting out

Post by attorianzo »

Sorry if I bring back this old thread. But it would be very important to me to know if you were able to fully replace your pc with your qnap nas.
michalspl2000
Starting out

Post by michalspl2000 »

Sorry if I bring back this old thread. But it would be very important to me to know if you were able to fully replace your pc with your qnap nas.
I did this and yes it work same as normal PC ok maybe you lost 5-8% CPU but still work ok.

Ofc it depend what you expect ... but if you have i7, 64 RAM, PSU 600 and external GPU work same as PC(you lost 5-8 % CPU on standard qnap software and VM software but GPU is pass throw to on of VM)

difference is only with USB ports -> when you connect something to QNAP (mouse, keyboard, USB drive etc) you need enter to qnap -> VM -> attached this USB to VM then this device will show in VM as normal.

Problem is when qnap will reboot then on VM will comeback but without USB like mouse keyboard) then u need manually make same changes what I wrote on top. OFC is workaround make scripts (you can find this on forum) then without lost on CPU work everything ok.

I have connected 3 monitors(gpu external), 1 sound card, 1 mouse, 1 keyboard, 1 - 6 in 1 usb card reader, and sometimes headset on USB.

On begging I had almost same PC configuration what on qnap and I made stress tests on both devices comparation on GPU -> same, CPU - lost 5-8%, RAM - same. Difference were only with heat which you need make modification on qnap (you can find all information on forum)

ON the end (sorry to much to read ;))
YES for 95% people I think qnap(with additional advantage) will be same as PC

Return to “Virtualization Station”