Virtualize Mac OS X

rhap4boy
Starting out

Virtualize Mac OS X

Post by rhap4boy »

I am currently virtualizing Mac OS X using VMware Fusion on my Mac. I do this in order to keep my applications separate from each other so I can instantly restore if needed without affecting other applications.
I would like to use virtualization Station to run Mac OS X. Is this possible? Will Hacintosh work?
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Re: Virtualize Mac OS X

Post by Toxic17 »

the supported list is here:

https://www.qnap.com/en-uk/support/con_show.php?cid=94

Virtualisation Station is based on QEMU/QKVM afaik. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QEMU
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

Apple only "officially" supports Mac OS X being virtualized when running on Mac OS X (hence VM Fusion can, but VM Workstation on Windows can't).

That being said, you could potentially do a hacintosh type install in VS although I have never tried to. It definitely would be an unsupported usage though.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
Briain
Experience counts

Post by Briain »

Hi

A while back, I had several attempts at performing a hacintosh type installation and it seemed to all be going quite well, but from memory, it kept failing at the post installation reboot stage (so I eventually gave up and opened a nice bottle of red wine; that was a far more successful exercise). To be honest, I've never even used a Mac (that's why I was trying it; I was just mildly curious to play with Mac OS) so perhaps I just got something fundamentally wrong.

Bri :)
TS-119, 1 X Seagate ~~ TS-219, 2 X Seagate (R1) ~~ TS-453A, 2 X 3 TB WD Red (R1) ~~ TS-659, 5 X 1 TB Hitachi Enterprise (R6)
APC Smart-UPS 750
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

You may have better luck with trying that on VS 3.x vs. 2.x (depending which version you were doing your testing on).
Paul

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Briain
Experience counts

Post by Briain »

Yes, that is a good idea; it was a long time back, so it would have been one of the earliest implementations of VS, so perhaps - when time permits - I will give it another shot, just to satisfy my curiosity.

Bri :)

PS A few months ago, I was surprised at it being able to import a FreeBSD VM created in VMware. Someone from the Ubiquiti forum had created one with the UniFi controller pre-installed, and he added a caveat to say that BSD was very 'touchy' about such all things and thus likely it would only work if imported into VMware, so it was a pleasant surprise when it imported into VS and just worked.
TS-119, 1 X Seagate ~~ TS-219, 2 X Seagate (R1) ~~ TS-453A, 2 X 3 TB WD Red (R1) ~~ TS-659, 5 X 1 TB Hitachi Enterprise (R6)
APC Smart-UPS 750
mylanclx
New here

Post by mylanclx »

Wondering if someone might be able to help with advice and/or step-by-step instructions.

1. How do I install VMware Fusion onto QNAPs Virtualisation Station - thinking of cloning the VM machine i have on my mac (to run Windows) and using that on the QNAP
2. Will Mac OSX run on VMWare Fusion?
3. If it does can I perform a timemachine recovery into the VM?

Please, if anyone can hold my hand through this I'd be grateful. I want to do this so I can leave the QNAP running programs (for example Adobe Premier Pro) regardless of where my mac is.

Thank you.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

mylanclx wrote:Wondering if someone might be able to help with advice and/or step-by-step instructions.

1. How do I install VMware Fusion onto QNAPs Virtualisation Station - thinking of cloning the VM machine i have on my mac (to run Windows) and using that on the QNAP
2. Will Mac OSX run on VMWare Fusion?
3. If it does can I perform a timemachine recovery into the VM?

Please, if anyone can hold my hand through this I'd be grateful. I want to do this so I can leave the QNAP running programs (for example Adobe Premier Pro) regardless of where my mac is.

Thank you.
1 & 2 not possible. You would likely have to do a hackintosh OS install into VS. I briefly tried, but haven’t had time to fully create one yet.

Other option would be to just run Windows VM with Premier Pro and store data files on Qnap so that both your Mac and windows VM could work from same file set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by Trexx on Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

caffecoffee
Starting out

Post by caffecoffee »

^ can you elaborate on what is a hacintosh os?
Googling this, refers to more having specific parts supposed by macOS...

However am confused at what is meant by hacintosh os?
Any particular sites or steps can reference as definitely need a macOS server to run a Mac specific software on there...
Tia
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

caffecoffee wrote:^ can you elaborate on what is a hacintosh os?
Googling this, refers to more having specific parts supposed by macOS...

However am confused at what is meant by hacintosh os?
Any particular sites or steps can reference as definitely need a macOS server to run a Mac specific software on there...
Tia
Basically a hackintosh is a modified version of OSx to run on non-apple HW. So while they have a list of the support formats, they also have VM image versions as well.
Paul

caffecoffee
Starting out

Post by caffecoffee »

Right. Sorry for the silly q. Googled it further and found installers that help with drivers and process to simplify things.

Now what I haven’t found as yet, is of confirmed successful QNAP installs...?
Well 1 in this forum, however it was not stable.
Not too sure if anyone on here has confirmed working and stable?
Blinky
Starting out

Post by Blinky »

Sorry for getting this old thread out of sleep but during the last years there seem to be some effort on running OS X in a QEMU/KVM environment.

Found some stuff googleing after "hackintosh vm kvm" e.g.:

https://github.com/kholia/OSX-KVM
https://github.com/foxlet/macOS-Simple-KVM
https://computingforgeeks.com/how-to-ru ... -kvm-qemu/
https://www.linuxuprising.com/2021/03/i ... na-in.html (Docker-OSX)

Beeing not a noob but I'm not so deep in KVM, QEMU, so not sure if I can get this to run but here are so many pros I'm sure this is doable.

It would be great so see 10.6 SnowLeopard Server run in a VM on our beloed QNAP machines :-)
--
QNAP TVS-671 i7-4770T 16GB
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

* topic locked to prevent further necroposting *

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Virtualization Station”