VM backup leave snapshot ???

fabrice_77
New here

VM backup leave snapshot ???

Post by fabrice_77 »

QNAP version 4.3.3.0210
VirtualStaton 3.0.2385

Hello,

Warning if you use virtualstation and need to schedule backup !!!
Each time you backup a vm, the process will leave a snapshot of the disk. I Have asked the support of QNAP and the response : after 17 backup, he will remove the oldest. So you will have big problem with the perf and so on...
If someone can help on this topic, he is welcome :-)

In the version qnap 4.2, the backup process works fine
1. take a snapshot
2. make backup
3. pause vm
4. remove snapshot

Kind regards
Fabrice
DaRootler
New here

Re: VM backup leave snapshot ???

Post by DaRootler »

Hi,

i just submitted a ticket because leaving a snapshot isn't the correct process for backing up VMs.

Regards
Richard
Last edited by DaRootler on Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
fabrice_77
New here

Post by fabrice_77 »

Good luck with the support... After one month with the support, I cannot write below their response... Do you want my ticket number ?

I will write a script based on : http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Live-disk- ... lockcommit

Kind regards
Fabrice
thenetstriker
Starting out

Post by thenetstriker »

I have the same problem. Snapshots are not deleted after backup. Did you find a way to delete the snapshots manually?
fabrice_77
New here

Post by fabrice_77 »

Hello,

I you want to remove the snapshot manually without a stop of the VM, you can suspend the VM and remove the snapshot. But you need to that after every backup.

Kind regards
Fabrice
fabrice_77
New here

Post by fabrice_77 »

DaRootler wrote:Hi,

i just submitted a ticket because leaving a snapshot isn't the correct process for backing up VMs.

Regards
Richard
Do you have a feedback from the support ?

Kind regards
Fabrice
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

Were the snapshots previously running when the VM was running under VS2?

Does this behavior still happen to a VM that was created from scratch under VS 3?
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
DaRootler
New here

Post by DaRootler »

fabrice_77 wrote:

Regards
Richard

Kind regards
Fabrice
It's a confirmed bug but there is no release date for a fix. The ticket status is open.

Regards
Richard
fabrice_77
New here

Post by fabrice_77 »

DaRootler wrote:
fabrice_77 wrote:

Regards
Richard

Kind regards
Fabrice
It's a confirmed bug but there is no release date for a fix. The ticket status is open.

Regards
Richard
Thanks a lot your feedback, I reopen my ticket to have also a confirmation for a release date. In between, I think that I will do my backup manually.
Kind regards
Fabrice
onteck
New here

Post by onteck »

Hi im trying this out on a VM station 3.xx and having the same results on a brand new build.
so i delete the vm server (testing) and try to restore, failure. on restoring
Restore task [xxxserver] (from /VMBackups/xxxserver_backup/57db5be7-810d-4839-9674-c4f11820dd72-1534107604) failed .

tried 3 now same result, what if this is production and i only have qnaps backup, we use acronis as well so hopefully will be ok.
onteck
New here

Post by onteck »

ok further to my issue, i can restore to the backup location, but one of the volumes is missing WTFis this software on
how do i move the server back to its original storage and get one of the drives back
ktheking
Starting out

Post by ktheking »

Qnap support confirmed this is a bug ,and R&D is looking into it. When I ask what the status and forecast is for the bugfix they stay silent.
If you want to get things moving to get this fixed ,leave as many as possible posts on this matter on reviews , forums , and all possible social media.
Only then you could get this on a higher priority.

Qnap does not care less that this is filling up the customers disks for nothing.
DaRootler
New here

Post by DaRootler »

QNAP support closed my ticket opened on 26.06.2017... I reopend the ticket now with the comment "Why is this ticket closed?"

Regards
Richard
kommy
New here

Post by kommy »

Have also opened a support ticket with regards to this issue. QNAP support have been utterly useless and have not recognized the issue as a problem.
We have 6 QNAP Servers (Approx $30k worth). This problem has gotten worst with the latest version of Virtualization Station which now take 32 snapshots instead of 16.
To make things worst, you cant downgrade from the latest version which they have acknowledged, but wont do anything about it.
Would love to speak to someone at QNAP who could resolve this issue instead of getting the same useless support person every time.
DaRootler
New here

Post by DaRootler »

kommy wrote:Have also opened a support ticket with regards to this issue. QNAP support have been utterly useless and have not recognized the issue as a problem.
We have 6 QNAP Servers (Approx $30k worth). This problem has gotten worst with the latest version of Virtualization Station which now take 32 snapshots instead of 16.
To make things worst, you cant downgrade from the latest version which they have acknowledged, but wont do anything about it.
Would love to speak to someone at QNAP who could resolve this issue instead of getting the same useless support person every time.
Yes, you're absolutely right. The support staff is ridiculous.

QNAP Support is closing my ticket every third day and asking me for a survey, and i just reopen the ticket every time :-)

Regards

Return to “Virtualization Station”