Fortigate VM on QNAP

yellowapple
Getting the hang of things

Fortigate VM on QNAP

Post by yellowapple »

Hello Guys,

I would like to replace my PF by a Fortigate VM. The firewall is perfectly working on VMware worksation but when exported to QNAP (OVF), this is stucked at the boot. On remark, the VM the two disks are ISCSI (2GB+30GB) but the import is showing an IDE and a SCSI drives. I've also tried to change the type of Ethernet adapter.

A small screeshot - https://files.dobs.com/index.php/s/ZCLh ... 6/download - [img] not working !?

Do you have an idea how to debug this?

Thx
QNAP TS-h1277-xu-rp, 64GB RAM SSD + SATA - 2 * MSI GPU
QNAP TBS-453a, 16 BG RAM, 1TB M2
yellowapple
Getting the hang of things

Re: Fortigate VM on QNAP

Post by yellowapple »

Hello,
Not working with OVF but the KVM image is working :-)
Thx
QNAP TS-h1277-xu-rp, 64GB RAM SSD + SATA - 2 * MSI GPU
QNAP TBS-453a, 16 BG RAM, 1TB M2
soywiki
First post

Post by soywiki »

How did you get to work it and which image did you used? I have a TS-453A but cannot import KVM images on my virtualization station.

Regards.
SageCloud
Starting out

Post by SageCloud »

Ok, so I know this post is a bit older, but since I still found it during my google searches, I'm going to try to complement the topic and hopefully provide you with an answer, should in any case you end up on this page.
I hope you can appreciate my research and the effort in writing it down to share. :wink:

I wanted to run a Fortigate VM on my QNAP. Since I still had access through a work related account on the support page of Fortinet, I was able to download a VM image. You should be looking for the image with KVM in it, for example ****************FORTINET.out.kvm.zip
Once downloaded, extract it and you will have a *.qcow2 file. Now rename this file to *.img
Move the *.img file to the location where you want to store your VM.
Now go to Virtualisation station and create a new VM.
GIve it a name and @HDD Location, select Use Existing image.
Now select the *.img file you created before.
Save and start and voilá! You have a working Fortigate VM on your QNAP.

I've given it 2 cores and 2GB RAM. I have no idea if this is sufficient, since I'm running it for 15 seconds now, but I think for my need, it'll work just fine.

Return to “Virtualization Station”