Copy & paste (clipboard) access missing in Virtualization Station

captainentropy
Starting out

Copy & paste (clipboard) access missing in Virtualization Station

Post by captainentropy »

I have installed several Ubuntu and Debian releases on my QNAP TS-453 Pro running Virtualization Station 3. It’s super easy to set them up and I have no problems using VNC (or TightVNC, though I could never get NoMachine to work) viewer to access them outside of the browser. The problem – HUGE problem – is that I cannot copy & paste between the VM and my computer (a Win10 machine). I have followed every bit of advice I can find out there (and specifically on the QNAP VS there is little info). I did find this thread viewtopic.php?f=354&t=133210&p=619102&h ... te#p619102 related to my issue but it's specific to docker. I did followed the instructions for the docker container and it worked, albeit in a clunky manner (paste into a box first and then paste again into the terminal or whatever editor). However, I prefer to use the VM. There are plenty of solutions out there (e.g. autocutsel) but they are in relation to other VM platforms (VMware, VitrualBox, etc.) and, importantly, I can’t find a way to get it to work on the QNAP Virtualization Station. It’s a non-starter for me if I can’t get cut/copy and paste to work, and I see no legitimate reason this feature is missing/disabled/broken.

Several other related threads basically say "Submit a ticket [to QNAP]", but offer no solution.

Has anyone encountered this issue and found a solution? I don't plan on holding my breath waiting for QNAP to fix this.
nameuser
Starting out

Re: Copy & paste (clipboard) access missing in Virtualization Station

Post by nameuser »

I have the same problem with copy and pasting access with VNC.

The workaround is to use Google Remote Desktop or TeamViewer. Copy and paste works fine
captainentropy
Starting out

Post by captainentropy »

Yes, yes, I can also use pastebin or a draft email in gmail as the go between. But that is not nearly as easy as cut/copy and paste. For people like me who would use it a lot this neutering/bug/oversight is completely unacceptable. I should not have to do this as every other virtualization solution I've used does it easily.

I've already moved on and set up VMs using VirtualBox on a desktop. Super easy. And no problems with cut and paste.

I've had many problems with QNAP features (e.g. security updates, Transmission, Plex, etc. and now VS3). I'll probably just move on to a custom build NAS. It's just too frustrating to deal with anymore.

If a solution emerges, I'll update this thread. But I'm not hopeful.
bugmenot4
Starting out

Post by bugmenot4 »

VNC is a giant security hole. Here:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=147845&p=715902#p715902
captainentropy
Starting out

Post by captainentropy »

bugmenot4 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:04 pm VNC is a giant security hole. Here:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=147845&p=715902#p715902
Off-topic and frankly, irrelevant.
captainentropy
Starting out

Post by captainentropy »

After consulting with QNAP and replicating the problem with them via shared desktop they got back to me with, surprise, "it's not currently a feature" (or something to that effect).
1) yeah, no s@#t!
2) why not?
3) WHY NOT!?

Unless someone else has a bright idea, there is no way of "fixing" it ourselves, it's up to QNAP.

I for one am not holding my breath. I just created a VM using Oracle's Virtualbox on a desktop I use. Easy. Took only a few minutes to setup and works perfectly, including copy/cut and paste.

As a NAS I've always been impressed with QNAP. As an appliance, I'm giving up on it. Time for a NUC/mini-pc to fill that role.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

on the VM install VNC\RDP of your choice and clipboard works like a charm

use it frequently on my VM .. easy peasy
gcstang
Starting out

Post by gcstang »

dolbyman wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:35 am on the VM install VNC\RDP of your choice and clipboard works like a charm

use it frequently on my VM .. easy peasy
Do you have one in mind that's not a resource hog?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

If you tell me the OS you are using it on

Windows 7,8,10Pro, RDP is built in
rcAUS
First post

Post by rcAUS »

I had the same issue trying to copy/paste into a browser station. A fairly painless work-around is to use a Google Document as an intermediate for the clipboard. Paste into a document and save from the desktop then open the same document in the browser session and copy/paste then works. Still is a massive gap in functionality.
MacFuddle
Starting out

Post by MacFuddle »

rcAUS wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:42 am A fairly painless work-around is to use a Google Document as an intermediate for the clipboard. Paste into a document and save from the desktop then open the same document in the browser session and copy/paste then works. Still is a massive gap in functionality.
That is a good tip. Intended to use BrowserStation for downloads within menu structures like Google drive links (an app like DownloadStation can only deal with direct URLs - I believe - ) but without simple copy and paste function it is next to useless for this purpose (typing long urls is not something I am willing to do) but your tip provides a quick enough workaround. Kind of dislike having to log in to my Google account on an unknown entity like a QNAP app though. :| :(
MacFuddle
Starting out

Post by MacFuddle »

MacFuddle wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:02 am
rcAUS wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:42 am A fairly painless work-around is to use a Google Document as an intermediate for the clipboard. Paste into a document and save from the desktop then open the same document in the browser session and copy/paste then works. Still is a massive gap in functionality.
That is a good tip. Intended to use BrowserStation for downloads within menu structures like Google drive links (an app like DownloadStation can only deal with direct URLs - I believe - ) but without simple copy and paste function it is next to useless for this purpose (typing long urls is not something I am willing to do) but your tip provides a quick enough workaround. Kind of dislike having to log in to my Google account on an unknown entity like a QNAP app though. :| :(
Sidenote: Is it just me, I love it when a machine like QNAP NAS is working hard (for instance) downloading stuff when I am asleep. Just like to add that the downloads I am talking about are (sound) sample packs that I purchased (about 35 Gb!). Unfortunately the Intel® Celeron® 2,41 GHz J1800-dual-coreprocessor of my QNAP TS-351 is not powerful enough to do serious work like running a virtual machine; with a fast running Win10 VPS on my QNAP NAS I would be king and I wouldn't have to use BrowserStation and its copy and paste workarounds.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Well nobody would buy a Laptop with that processor for anything serious..so running a Class 2 Hypervisor on that hardware with VMs on it is making it much worse performance wise

Return to “Virtualization Station”