TS451 Virtualisation Station and Virtual Switch

glenpalmer
New here

TS451 Virtualisation Station and Virtual Switch

Post by glenpalmer »

Hi all,

Firstly, apologies if this topic is in the wrong place, I couldn't find a specific board for queries on Virtualisation Station and Virtual Switch.

I'm having troubles retaining my configuration of a Virtual Machine connected to my network using the Virtual Switch, I'm sure this is due to my lack of knowledge and understanding of network configurations, Virtual Switch and general network functionality.

I'm hoping someone may be able to help resolve my problems. What I'd like to achieve appears to be quite simple to me and is as follows:
  • Install CentOS in a Virtual Machine
  • The Virtual Machine should be accessible from various PC's on my network
  • The Virtual Machine does not need access to other NAS volumes
  • The Virtual Machine needs internet access
My current set up is a TS451 with Firmware Version 4.5.1.1461 (2020/10/20) connected to a Huawei B535 router wired from the physical network adapter 1. Physical Adapter 1 is configured as DHCP which receives an IP from my router, and the router is configured with an MAC address / IP Binding.

To configure the Virtual Machine, the NAS instructs me that I require a Virtual Switch.

I use the 'Network & Virtual Switch' application to navigate to the Virtual Switch area and click 'Add', I choose the 'Basic Mode' and pick Adapter 1. My network configuration ends up looking like the following:
Screenshot 2020-10-23 at 14.39.00.png
Whilst the QNAP is running, this configuration works fine, I can ping the VM from PC's on my network, the VM can ping www.google.com, however the problems start when my QNAP is rebooted.

Once the QNAP is rebooted, its no longer is visible on the network, Qfinder doesn't find the QANP either. This results in me doing the 3 second reset procedure which deletes the network configuration and my QNAP becomes visible again. At this point, I reconfigure the Virtual Switch as mentioned above.

Hope this all makes sense, and thank you in advance for any support.

Regards

Gp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
glenpalmer
New here

Re: TS451 Virtualisation Station and Virtual Switch

Post by glenpalmer »

Bit of an update on this topic and still no joy.

I've followed a number of YouTube videos and various documents, even documents from QNAP themselves.

From additional information above, I've tried to connect the 2nd NIC to the router, connected the virtual switch to that NIC so that NIC 1 is used to connect to the NAS etc and NIC 2 is connected to the Virtual Switch for VMs etc.

However, now I just get NIC Adapter 2 / Virtual Switch is disconnected warning over and over again. If I delete the Virtual Switch, my router picks NIC Adapter 2 back up using DHCP.

I know I'm doing something wrong here, and my NAS is quickly going to become an expensive door stop to the office and I'll go spend my money with someone like Synology!

Gp
koppenhoefer3
First post

Re: TS451 Virtualisation Station and Virtual Switch

Post by koppenhoefer3 »

Hello,

Sorry I have no help to offer,.. but I am wondering if you solved this and, if so, how?
I am running into a similar issue - my NIC gets disabled when it is part of a Virtual Switch --. I'm looking for solutions, so far without-luck.

Return to “Virtualization Station”