Newbie to QNAP Virtualization Station 3, Mac OSX-KVM installation help?

digiti
New here

Newbie to QNAP Virtualization Station 3, Mac OSX-KVM installation help?

Post by digiti »

To start with; I'm a noob. I've never used QNAP before and never tried to install anything on such devices. I couldn't find one specific information (or forum post) of this sort of installation from anywhere. My expertise with Mac and Windows support doesn't extend to these kind of devices - yet.

I got QNAP TVS-472XT with 16GB RAM and Firmware version 4.5.1.1540 and I would love to get macOS virtualized on it. I don't know if it's even possible, but I've tried to do it with installation guide from https://github.com/kholia/OSX-KVM .

It's a clean install, with only stuff I've tried with this project.

I've installed loads of applications from different websites, including (but not limited to):
- Entware (https://github.com/Entware/Entware/wiki ... n-QNAP-NAS)
- Python3 (opkg install git python3 python3-pip)

... and tried a bunch of different commands to get further and further.
Issue with the OSX-KVM installation guide is, that I can't get "apt-get" and "qemu-img" commands functioning. Perhaps it's not even necessary, but I've just tried to follow the instructions. I can't find a way to install QEMU, so I could follow the instructions step-by-step.
I've even converted the BaseSystem.dmg to BaseSystem.img with my Mac (dmg2img) but I can't find a way to start it up in Virtualization Station 3. If it's .img, seems that it cannot be added as a Disk or CD drive under Virtualization Station 3.

What am I missing, or isn't this sort of installation not possible for this specific device for some reason?

Thanks for any and all answers in advance! I'll continue trying and I will comment here with everything I find out. All help is appreciated!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Newbie to QNAP Virtualization Station 3, Mac OSX-KVM installation help?

Post by dolbyman »

You need to install VM-Sation, I tried in the past to install hackintosh OSX on VM-Station for fun, didn't work .. worked fine on my WIn10 NUC with virtualbox though.
digiti
New here

Post by digiti »

Thanks for replying, dolbyman!
Can you be a little more specific of which VM-Station I need to install and from where?
A link to a website will suffice!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

from app center in your NAS

or from here

https://www.qnap.com/en/app_center/con_ ... 122&os=qts
digiti
New here

Post by digiti »

Dolbyman,

That is exactly the application (Virtualization Station 3) I need help with. I have it installed and I have tried to use it, but it seems I might not be using it correctly somehow.

I have created a “virtual machine” with it, trying to start the .img file that I got when I converted the downloaded macOS installation .dmg. I can’t get the virtual machine to start up with the .img file at any way. It always says that it cannot boot from such media, when it’s as a CD-drive image (renamed to .ISO).
Perhaps I might need to convert it to a real .ISO file somehow, instead of just renaming it?

qemu-img command doesn’t function at all (not found) while I’m SSH’ing to the QNAP CLI. None of “qemu” commands doesn’t seem to function, so I might be missing something or using it wrong.

I don’t know how I should follow and alter the instructions mentioned in the kholia’s GitHub page to get it functioning with my QNAP.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Those instructions will not work for limited QTS, as said before, I tried it as well and abandoned it

Hackintosh needs finicky changes not available on VM-Station

On Top:
Performance on my i7 Hades Canyon was 'okish' .. That Pentium in your NAS will not cut it
digiti
New here

Post by digiti »

Now that’s language that I can almost understand - thank you!
I don’t know what it means if QTS are limited, and are there also unlimited?

I guess I need to forget this project and consider something else.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

"Limited" mans that the Linux in your QNAP is not a plain vanilla or Ubuntu (etc) Linux. It's an embedded version optimized for the use of a NAS.

Some stuff can be added via additional packages (e.g. entware) , but that will not solve the limited CPU speed issue

Return to “Virtualization Station”