Multiple virtual interfaces in VM

Lugie
Starting out

Multiple virtual interfaces in VM

Post by Lugie »

Hi!

I wonder if it is possible to have two virtual adapters in one virtual machine? One for internet and one for a different network? I want to be able to route some ip addresses to the second virtual interface.

My Qnap device got two different networks, one on physical interface 1 and one on physical interface 5 and they each are configured to have an individual virtual switch.
NAS: Qnap TVS-872XT, Qnap TVS-1282T3
P3R
Guru

Re: Multiple virtual interfaces in VM

Post by P3R »

Lugie wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:53 am I wonder if it is possible to have two virtual adapters in one virtual machine?
Yes.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Lugie
Starting out

Post by Lugie »

Can you please help me with instructions on how to set it up? Last time I tried I messed up my network and could not access my NAS other than locally from HybridDesk Station.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

You set up a second network adapter by going to Settings for the VM, click Add Device and add a virtual network adapter connected to the other virtual switch.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Lugie
Starting out

Post by Lugie »

My problem is that only the virtual switch connected to the internet and local network is showing up under Add Device second virtual switch does not show up in the list at all.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Lugie wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:43 pm My problem is that only the virtual switch connected to the internet and local network is showing up under Add Device second virtual switch does not show up in the list at all.
I have no idea what's wrong with your setup.

Contact Qnap support, they can probably help you configure it correctly.

Return to “Virtualization Station”