questions about right setup NAS TS-873A for VM usage

steinradler
New here

questions about right setup NAS TS-873A for VM usage

Post by steinradler »

I would like to use virtualization and or containers on my new NAS, TS-873A, for the first time.

I'm thinking about firewall, Linux server for home automation, and maybe Win10 as a test for various desktop upgrades at the beginning.

This was not an issue with my old NAS, so I have zero experience with it. So I am asking for your assessment/recommendation on the following thoughts:
I will be using QuTS on a TS-873A and have already upgraded the RAM to 64GB(max). Further I plan:

# twod M.2 SSD (RAID1) to configure as system pool and use as storage for the VM`s/Container. Is it right with the HDD's to just create a storage pool 2, 3 etc for all other tasks?
- I would have thought about 500GB, I get for about 100€ 2 Kingston with 2mio MTBF and the will perform the 1Gbit/s for Gen 3 x1 PCIe

# Qnap speaks of support for "HD Station / Linux Station / Container Station / Virtualization Station".
- what does that mean exactly? Is this now recommended for the VM's? What exactly does this give me? Only graphics performance or also support of the computing power?

# possibly I still have a 256GB 850 Pro 2.5" SDD which I could set up as SSD cache (read-only). Where in the first test with old disks I now already approach the 200MB/s...

Return to “Virtualization Station”