Port forwarding in Virtualization Station

dolbyman
Guru

Re: Port forwarding in Virtualization Station

Post by dolbyman »

So just to be clear, you don't want this VM to be reachable from the internet, but for it to reach out to the internet, via the host machine .. correct ?

If so, just create a new virtiual switch (advanced mode)

- assign your physical NIC and VM to it (1. Step)
- set it to static IP and assign a Class C with IP(e.g. 10.0.6.1) and Gateway to it (e.g. 10.0.6.253) (2. Step)
- enable NAT and DHCP on the switch (3. Step)
- chose your IPv6 options (4. Step)
- choose your DNS options (5. Step)
- apply (6. Step)
- done

Now you have a Network with NAT defined on the NAS for your VM, you can add more VM's to that NAT bridge via VM station or the switch interface GUI
tonylogic
Starting out

Post by tonylogic »

No, not exactly.

Here is my setup.
What I want to do is to reach 10.10.10.2:1234 using 10.60.17.120:5678.
daNutz
Getting the hang of things

Post by daNutz »

tonylogic wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:47 pm No, not exactly.

Here is my setup.
What I want to do is to reach 10.10.10.2:1234 using 10.60.17.120:5678.
did you ever figure this out?

Im just running some tests and im amazed this simple feature is so difficult on the QNAP.

I need to RDP to a VM from another local LAN using the QNAP's IP and then port forwarding the tcp/3389 request onto the virtual machine.
TS-1079Pro - 30TB - RAID 6 - FW: 4.3.6.2232 - MultiMedia
TS-453 Pro - 12TB - RAID 5 - OS: Ubuntu Server 22.04.2 / Docker
SelfHosted
NAS Migration Compatibility

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Cbrad01
Know my way around

Post by Cbrad01 »

Reading this I am confused.
I have 8 VMs (windows and Linux) on my NAS and access them just fine via RDP, SSH and so on. My VMs are connected to a virtual switch which is connected to a physical NIC. Each VM gets it’s own IP from DHCP or has a static IP, all on the same network as the NAS.
Is that not the setup you want?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Swan01
New here

Post by Swan01 »

Cbrad01, I could rdp to the vm from the local network without any problem. I think the original question is how to setup the NAS to allow users to rdp the vm from the Internet, assuming the NAT settings on the router are correct. I wanted to do the same too but without success after 'connecting' the vm to the virtual switch. (fyi, I tried both vm and nas addr with same port but not success.)
Cbrad01
Know my way around

Post by Cbrad01 »

Swan01 wrote:Cbrad01, I could rdp to the vm from the local network without any problem. I think the original question is how to setup the NAS to allow users to rdp the vm from the Internet, assuming the NAT settings on the router are correct. I wanted to do the same too but without success after 'connecting' the vm to the virtual switch. (fyi, I tried both vm and nas addr with same port but not success.)
To access from the internet you would need to port ford the RDP ports from your router to the ip of the vm. So you would set your rdp client to use the public ip of your router and have you router forward the traffic to the ip of the vm.
Concern with that is that anyone on the internet could attempt to connect to the VM. The NAS doesn’t have any role in the connection besides hosting the vm.
Keep in mind that setting something like this up is very insecure and creates a easy path into your network.
I connect to VMs and other resources on my home network and using VPN which is significantly more secure then using RDP and port forwarding. I would suggest setting up vpn or use TeamViewer or similar instead of opening RDP up through your router. An exposed windows system makes a very easy target for hackers

Swan01
New here

Post by Swan01 »

Some updates here. Indeed all my port forwarding settings were correct on the router which at hind sight was found out to be a firewall+router. The remote access was solved readily after creating a firewall rule that allows the originating IP address to use the RDP 'nat path' . In other words, the access problem previously reported by me was not caused by virtualization station.
Cbrad01
Know my way around

Post by Cbrad01 »

Thanks for the follow up and update

daNutz
Getting the hang of things

Post by daNutz »

Cbrad01 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:00 am Reading this I am confused.
I have 8 VMs (windows and Linux) on my NAS and access them just fine via RDP, SSH and so on. My VMs are connected to a virtual switch which is connected to a physical NIC. Each VM gets it’s own IP from DHCP or has a static IP, all on the same network as the NAS.
Is that not the setup you want?

No,

I am NATing all VM's behind the IP of the host, so we need to add additional portforwarding rules...

I used: iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 3389 -j DNAT --to-destination <internal-IP>:3389
TS-1079Pro - 30TB - RAID 6 - FW: 4.3.6.2232 - MultiMedia
TS-453 Pro - 12TB - RAID 5 - OS: Ubuntu Server 22.04.2 / Docker
SelfHosted
NAS Migration Compatibility

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Virtualization Station”