High Quality display always disconnects when the VM gets too busy

Missing_Link
Starting out

High Quality display always disconnects when the VM gets too busy

Post by Missing_Link »

I'm running a single VM (Win 10) in High Quality display on VS 3.5.57 (2021-04-29). Despite have a fast wireless connection from my device to the NAS (currently reading 192mbit) the VM will disconnect if it appears to get overwhelmed. Unfortunately, this happens too frequently and is really annoying.

I don't see why the connection should appear to be lost when the connection is so good. Using VNC or not appears to make no difference. The amount of processing power I dedicate to the VM makes no difference. I'm using the Virt-IO drivers as well. I don;t use audio. There are a number of core NAS services I choose not to use to leave enough performance bandwidth for the VM.

There seems to be something inherently flaky in VS remote connections over wireless.

Does anyone else experience this ?
Does the problem really go away with a wired connection ?

~Any other advice or solutions gratefully received!
===========================
System: QNAP TS-453A (8GB)
Drive config: 12TB (4 x 3TB WD RED) - RAID 5
Backup: Seagate 8 TB Backup Plus Hub (3.5" external, USB 3.0)
UPS: APC Back-UPS BX - 700VA, BX700U-GR (AVR, 4 Schuko outputs, USB)
Don
Guru

Re: High Quality display always disconnects when the VM gets too busy

Post by Don »

Does it disconnect using a wired connection?
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
Missing_Link
Starting out

Post by Missing_Link »

Don wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:29 am Does it disconnect using a wired connection?
Hi Don,

Thanks for reaching out and apologies for the delay in replying. Unfortunately this is more difficult for me to test. With such a fast wireless connection I don't see what the problem is ?

What has your experience been with wireless VM access with HQ display ?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

if it is windows, why not just use RDP ?
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Missing_Link wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:59 am
Don wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:29 am Does it disconnect using a wired connection?
Hi Don,

Thanks for reaching out and apologies for the delay in replying. Unfortunately this is more difficult for me to test. With such a fast wireless connection I don't see what the problem is ?

What has your experience been with wireless VM access with HQ display ?
Doesn't matter how fast your wireless connection is. Wireless is subject to all kinds of interference. That is why I asked you to try a wired connection. If it doesn't drop with a wired connection then wireless is the issue. Some programs/protocols are more sensitive to networking issues.

I have an iPhone that kept dropping its 5Ghz connection. The 2.4Ghz worked without an issue. This went on for months. I finally changed the channel on the wireless router on the 5Ghz network and haven't had a dropout since. Something in the house was interfering on that channel and changing it fixed it.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
Missing_Link
Starting out

Post by Missing_Link »

Thanks for the suggestion Don.

It's probably worth a shot as you say :-)

Return to “Virtualization Station”