New to NAS / VMs - how to assign an IP address to a VM?

DrMcFizz1e
Starting out

New to NAS / VMs - how to assign an IP address to a VM?

Post by DrMcFizz1e »

Hello there,
I recently bought a TVS-472XT. Am loving setting it up but have really struggled with virtualization station.
All I want to do is to make my Windows 10 VM accessible via RDP from outside my home network.
Reading up: apparently I have to setup a new virtual switch in bridge mode to connect the VM to a physical adaptor.
Tried this but it doesn't work for me.
Can anyone outline the steps I need do this?
I also want the VM to connect with an internal shared multimedia folder on the NAS. Think I've achieved this by mapping the shared folder as a network drive, but any further advice would be welcome!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: New to NAS / VMs - how to assign an IP address to a VM?

Post by dolbyman »

Create a VPN Server (best on router or dedicated device like RasPI).. never expose RDP directly to WAN, even a VM, bad idea!

With the VPN connection established you can access the bridged IP (you can set this option directly in the network options of the VM) for RDP.
DrMcFizz1e
Starting out

Post by DrMcFizz1e »

Hi DolbyMan!
Thanks for the advice about VPN - really helpful! Best to be safe, not sorry!
In the overview screen of VS, my VM displays no IP address, but it is connecting to the internet, which is the main thing. When I do ipconfig/all inside the VM I can see the IP address.
I wanted to ask:
1. It is best to do port forwarding on my router for this IP address? If so, should I set for port 443? Will that work with rdp?
2. Can you explain what you mean by your second sentence - what is the option I should set and where is it? Do I set it INSIDE the VM or in VirtStation? If the latter, I don't where because under Network for the VM it just lets me choose the ethernet adapter.
Many thanks for your time :)
DrMcFizz1e
Starting out

Post by DrMcFizz1e »

Oh I meant to ask:
the public IP of the VM is set to be the same as my house's.
How do i give it a unique public IP that I can rdp to, since from outside my own network I obviously can't use 192.168...
Thanks again
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

1. If you don't want to listen and still forward RDP to WAN (say hello to the cops when they raid your place for hosting illegal files on your NAS placed by by external hackers) use a non standard port (make one up) and forward it to the RDP port (3389) of your manual or DHCP assigned VM IP*
DHCP: check router DHCP table or ipconfig on virtual machine
Manual: Well you assigned it yourself

2. When you have a VPN connection established, access is done via an internal IP as if you were at home
DrMcFizz1e
Starting out

Post by DrMcFizz1e »

Hi! Definitely going the VPN route, and it looks like my router supports creating openvpn connections, so all the better.
Thanks again for all your help - should be fine from here. :)
DrMcFizz1e
Starting out

Post by DrMcFizz1e »

Hello again! I've got a bit further but have another question :)
I'm testing rdp access to my windows vm from another laptop on my local network, using the IP address of the VM. Really the idea is just to test basic access before moving to the VPN solution for access off-local network.
However, on my local network I'm unable to connect to the VM.
MS Remote Desktop tells me the resource cannot be reached.
Doing an ipconfig /all on the VM itself shows it has an IP address - and I can also ping that address. I've also enabled remote connection in the windows settings.
Any ideas? I have noticed that the virtualization station overview page for the VM shows no IP address ("N/A"); none is listed on the virtual switch either that handles the VM - could this be the issue? Or do I need to change the network adapter for the VM from 'Realtek Fast Ethernet' to something else?
Many thanks

Return to “Virtualization Station”