[Solved] booting from hard disk

bittoliquido
New here

[Solved] booting from hard disk

Post by bittoliquido »

hello,

thanks in advance for any help

I have installed virtualization station on my pimped 670 with I7/16/6*4TB wdred.
I have created a Virtual Machine for windows 7 but the system stops at the very beginning, after pressing the console button I have the typical windows screen saying "boot failed: non a bootable disk".
In preferences I have tryied all the combinations of IDE/iSCSI/VM HDD type and the booting sequence is HDD first.

How can I solve this?
Apparently I am following all the steps indicates in the guide, but I cannot go over the booting step problem

thanks again

paolo
Scillonian
Know my way around

Re: booting from hard disk

Post by Scillonian »

I don't have a QNAP capable of run Virtualisation Station so this is based on my experiences with VMware Workstation. Are you getting the error message immediately after the BIOS screen (if one is shown) or after the initial Windows startup screen?

In the first case I have booted the VM from the installation media (ISO mounted as virtual CD/DVD drive) and chosen the repair option. If I remember correctly on the repair menu there is an option for boot/startup problems.

In the second case this can be caused by Windows not having a driver for the virtual disk interface hardware (SCSI, IDE, etc). Is you installation media generic Microsoft or a custom one?
Model: TS-459 Pro+ Firmware: 4.1.2 (20141106) RAID: RAID 5 Storage Media: Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 (x3)
UPS: APC SmartUPS 1000 (SUA1000I) Switch: Netgear GS724T Port Trunking: Balance-ALB
bittoliquido
New here

Post by bittoliquido »

thanks for the reply

I am getting this error message in the bios screen. I'll experiment your suggestion to see if it will works, but I am quite sure that my poor IT competence will introduce new variables...

thanks

paolo
LennyM
Know my way around

Post by LennyM »

Hi,

1. Create a VM in Virtualization Station (VS) for Win 7 OS
2. Select as Harddisk SATA (the VM HDD didn't work for me for Win 7, only for Windows Server 2012, IDE had poor performance for me)
3. After VM creation, load your ISO of Win 7 in to the CD-Drive of VM
4. Then start VM and go to Console and you should boot into Win 7 installer (you may have to format the virtualized Harddrive during installation of Win 7)
5. After installation of Win 7, press install Driver button in VS of your VM
6. Go to Hardware Devices and install all Hardware components (Network and PCI) which have not been recorgnized with the Drivers provided on CD-Drive

hope this helps

best regards
Lennart
bittoliquido
New here

Post by bittoliquido »

hello,

problem solved.

It was a bugged iso that was not bootable. So my fault...

Now I have win7 and 8.1 running

thanks

paolo

Return to “Virtualization Station”