Notes Station Beta3 release

DDefazio
New here

Re: Notes Station Beta3 release

Post by DDefazio »

xtb wrote:Installed yesterday, importet the notebooks from my old Station ... everythin works fine so long.

What I miss is a backup tool. I want want the station to back up all notebooks once a week. This worked fine with the old station, but I could not find it within the new beta 3 :)
Hi XTB,
I'm having the same issue as you are trying to find a way to backup Notes Stations 3- Beta, Have you been able to find a solution? I did reach out to support but the tech stated he not familiar with Notes Station 3, and that he will get back to me. That was about 2 weeks ago.
jpirie
Starting out

Post by jpirie »

The backup solution has not yet been activated...much like many of the features of the previous Notes Station.

Suggest that you ask QNAP support for the features you miss to be re-applied!? I'm making a list :)

James
rausqn
First post

Post by rausqn »

DDefazio wrote:I recently installed Note Station 3 Beta and migrated my data from Note Station.

Although the application is running and working well, I haven't been able to find a way to schedule a backup. In the older version of Notes it would have backup my data nightly if any changes have been applied.
Has anyone else ran into the same problem and have you been able to resolve the issue?
Hi, can you tell me how did you migrate data from Note Station to Note Station 3?
I cannot find any information about how to do it.

Another question, it is possible to run Notes and Notes 3 )beta) in parallel?
DDefazio
New here

Post by DDefazio »

Hi Rausqu,

Yes, I am able to run both Notes and Notes 3 parallel.

Log is as your admin account into NotesStation 3> click on the three dots at the top right-hand corner.
Click Import data from a previous version of Notes Station
jpirie
Starting out

Post by jpirie »

Which, at least in my case, fails monumentally!
The only way I was able to move my data was to use the "Import data from previous installation" option when first installing the Beta. And even this failed four out of five times. :(
I contacted support about these issues but the old "We were unable to replicate your issue" response came back :(
Anyway, I still think that it's worth persevering as the new version is much better once you get it up and running.
drons
Starting out

Post by drons »

Hey.
I find that the new NoteStation3 is more modern, but it does not have a calendar and the ability to plan any tasks. Tell me please, is it planned to add such features to the new version?
jpirie
Starting out

Post by jpirie »

Hi,
You are quite correct and I have asked QNAP support to tell me their plans for this App to no avail!
I asked:
I Still have unanswered questions however.
1/ Do you (QNAP) intend to add any of the previous functions to Notes Station 3? i.e. Calandering and Web Clipper?
2/ If not why does te default installation still include the notebooks for the Calendar which I cannot delete?
3/ Will it ever come out of Beta?
4/ Do you have a list of proposed improvements, i.e. some kind of roadmap of intentions for the future of Notes Station?

But got no answers to these questions sadly...however, I was directed to "Try" Notes Station version 2!

All I can suggest is that you also ask for these missing "features" and anyone else who thinks this might be a good idea to do the same. QNAP will only make changes for a large group of users and not, sadly, for individuals in the mist!!
I also asked if they could have PDF documents show inline rather than simply as links to download the document you have presumably already uploaded!! They "said" that this had been put forward to the Dev. tem but...I shall not be holding my breath waiting for that to be implemented :)

James
jpirie
Starting out

Post by jpirie »

Incidentally, just so you know, this is a forum for QNAP users to discuss and help each other. It is not a forum for submitting feature requests or looking for help from QNAP :) They, as far as I know, do not monitor this forum? I could be wrong though but, if I am, then they have never answered any question I may have posted here.
You have to open a ticket at:
https://helpdesk.qnap.com/
Where you will get a response.

Cheers
drons
Starting out

Post by drons »

Sadly, I believed that this is an official forum, which also includes representatives of the developer's company. In any case, many other official forums have developers' answers.
jpirie
Starting out

Post by jpirie »

With regard to the latest update to this app.
Has anyone else experienced random notes becoming inaccessible with a popup titled "An unknown error has occurred"?

I have approximately five inaccessible notes now and a report has been made to QNAP. Probably just turn out to be me alone again :)

J
jpirie
Starting out

Post by jpirie »

drons wrote:Sadly, I believed that this is an official forum, which also includes representatives of the developer's company. In any case, many other official forums have developers' answers.
Well, I certainly hope you are right but, as I say, there is plenty of evidence to the contrary on here. And I have never had any response from anyone claiming connections with QNAP!

Hello out there am I right or wrong QNAP? :)
drons
Starting out

Post by drons »

jpirie wrote: I also asked if they could have PDF documents show inline rather than simply as links to download the document you have presumably already uploaded!!
By the way about PDF. I see that the latest version has the ability to convert a note to PDF. Did you mean it?
jpirie
Starting out

Post by jpirie »

drons wrote:
jpirie wrote: I also asked if they could have PDF documents show inline rather than simply as links to download the document you have presumably already uploaded!!
By the way about PDF. I see that the latest version has the ability to convert a note to PDF. Did you mean it?
No, I mean the ability to display a PDF document as a note, like you can with an image file! Paste an image into a note and you can see it as part of the note. Paste a pdf into the document and all you see is a link to download that pdf again! :)
I had the same trouble explaining this to QNAP. I thought it was a perfectly obvious way to make use of PDF documents in a Note but, perhaps there are C opyright issues?

James
drons
Starting out

Post by drons »

James
Yes, now I understand. I think that this is difficult because of the format of PDF files, but it's not just an image. I looked that in Synology NoteStation it works the same as in Qnap.
bitminer
Starting out

Post by bitminer »

Notestation 3 fails to import notes from note station 2.x... or really to the point it partially imports which is even worse than completely failing as it makes you think it worked when large swaths of random bits of notes and entire notebooks are lost in translation.

Notestation 3 also does not have the Export -> "Full Backup" feature where Backup cycle and be set say to "Daily". I guess that's the future of "improvements". It's always great when a new version of something is actually less useful than what came prior.

I guess it was just too much effort to add a "log out" feature to Note Station 3 as well.

It always completely baffles me the logic of QNAP where here we buy a NAS to backup data and the utilities that come with it "Note station 3"" in this case can't "backup" their own data periodically on a schedule.

Ever try to back up Music station play lists?

I would say I am surprised by this, but I have been dealing with QNAP for over 2 years and frankly not much they do surprise me anymore. It's become a standard modus operandi.

Currently waiting for Note Station 4 by that time I can upgrade to Note station 3. Something to be said for begin a good wholesome techno luddite and updating when it/if it actually works.

Return to “Notes Station”