Local web server visible on home Lan

Post your questions about Web Server usage and Apache + PHP + MySQL/SQLite web applications.
fuscod
New here

Local web server visible on home Lan

Post by fuscod »

Is it possible to set up a web server with an address which is visible only on your home lan and does not need to be advertised on the web. Can anyone point me in the right direction to set this up.
Maybe all I am looking for is a shared web page on a local drive.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Local web server visible on home Lan

Post by dolbyman »

QNAP has a builtin webserver. Can be enabled via QTS

https://docs.qnap.com/operating-system/ ... 0AD1D.html

If no ports are forwarded via your router (manual or upnp) , nothing is advertised (forwarded) to the web
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

The embedded web server (apache) is very easy to setup particularly for home use (and certainly much safer - if you follow @dolbyman's advice). You can simply use a standard file share if that is all you really need, but the impact of running the actual web server is very low and will likely be better long term (although you know your needs better than we do).

Very easy to setup and access from your browser just like you would a web site on the internet, it simply resolves to a local IP address.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
fuscod
New here

Post by fuscod »

dolbyman wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:33 am QNAP has a builtin webserver. Can be enabled via QTS

https://docs.qnap.com/operating-system/ ... 0AD1D.html

If no ports are forwarded via your router (manual or upnp) , nothing is advertised (forwarded) to the web
Thank you, have set it up in QTS but getting a "You don't have permission to access this resource." I have checked my Share permissions and they are set for everyone. I do not want to advertise it on the web but I will check my router port forwarding.
I get a reaction from the server but I do not get the page.
fuscod
New here

Post by fuscod »

dosborne wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:10 am The embedded web server (apache) is very easy to setup particularly for home use (and certainly much safer - if you follow @dolbyman's advice). You can simply use a standard file share if that is all you really need, but the impact of running the actual web server is very low and will likely be better long term (although you know your needs better than we do).

Very easy to setup and access from your browser just like you would a web site on the internet, it simply resolves to a local IP address.
Thank you.
Have set it up. I have followed the instructions and set up the virtual site on port 90. I get a response You don't have permission to access this resource. I have checked the share permissions and I am at a loss as they show everything is shared to everyone.
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

There really isn't much to setup or configure as the QNAP Apache web server is pretty much locked down. Are you trying to access a simple html file as a test? Maybe double check the permissions on the file ( set to 755 as a test) via SSH and make sure you are using the correct directory as the "home" directory.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

If you still have an error accessing the Web server, please add a screenshot from Webserver and Virtual hosts tab.

Regards
fuscod
New here

Post by fuscod »

dosborne wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:53 am There really isn't much to setup or configure as the QNAP Apache web server is pretty much locked down. Are you trying to access a simple html file as a test? Maybe double check the permissions on the file ( set to 755 as a test) via SSH and make sure you are using the correct directory as the "home" directory.
Thanks to all.
After going in via ssh it was obvious. One file had admin as the user.

Return to “Web Server & Applications (Apache + PHP + MySQL / SQLite)”