[TUTORIAL] How to config your webserver first time

Post your questions about Web Server usage and Apache + PHP + MySQL/SQLite web applications.
ndeasis
New here

Re: [TUTORIAL] How to config your webserver first time

Post by ndeasis »

Sorry being a newbie. Where will i run the command. I telnet to my nas and maybe run the code but could not find the /share/web folder. Thank you.
mgk21cn
Starting out

Post by mgk21cn »

hi all .. i think that i have complicated issues in configuring my web server !!

first : due to highly cost of internt at my home .i have an internet connection through wirless router from an access point with my regular provider isp ( he is connecting trough router to official isp ) !!

second : when start forward port 80 after reconfigure my qnap webserver admin .. i wonder where to start forwording port , through my router ? or through my provider one ?

third : after asking my local provider to open port 80 , he said that its ready opened .. after re-browse my external ip .. it gives me router login page that i havent any access , though it sould target me to qnap page !

forth : after more than 40 time try of ( change ip , port , disabled firewall or permitting port ) it seems to get webpage open locally , but never have access from any eternal connection , which mean that my port 80 still closed !

fifth : i use usbmodem through 3g wireless router , but i couldent reach correct port , ( it seems that usbmodem isp totally closed any server port connection)

as a beginner .. and after more reading ,, i just couldnt have sharp answer of what i am dealing with !!!!!!!!
sweetboy02125
Starting out

Post by sweetboy02125 »

Is this instruction still good with 4.1.3?
There are some steps that I got confuse
mgk21cn
Starting out

Post by mgk21cn »

its ok .. but still chek that ur isp provider get you static ip by paying small fees
pirja
New here

Post by pirja »

I looked through here, and I'm sorry if I missed it but this is my issue.
I'm using the current beta 4.2 (20150925) on an HS-210

Here is the issue:
My NAS is visable via https://x.x.x.x/cgi-bin & https://xxx.myqnapcloud.com/cgi-bin/
My website is enabled, and I also have a joomla installation that is also visable when I'm on my intranet: http://10.x.x.xxx:80 & https://10.x.x.xxx:8081
Web server is activated on :80 / :8081

I'm confused as to why I can access my NAS via direct URL & Cloud DDns service (thx qnap), but not my web server? What did I miss?
Afrosheen
Getting the hang of things

Post by Afrosheen »

I'm also experiencing the same problem. I can access all my QNAP apps with unique port numbers but can't access the webpages. I changed the port number for the web server and then set up a virtual host, but still it's a no go.

On the NAS, I'm getting an error stating that the server failed to start. Don't know what to do in order to make it start.
pirja
New here

Post by pirja »

I ended up having to reinstall my web portion (joomla install) to take hold of the port settings that I had already installed. I don't know why this fixed the issue, as you should be able to modify the ports on the fly, but I hope this will work for you.
Rohan
Starting out

Post by Rohan »

Hello I'm a newbie to website design and all things server.

I got the QNAP TS-431+ with 4 WD Red HDDs.

At the moment I'm interested in creating and viewing all my webpages on the LAN. I'm not interested in remote access to them over the Internet for now.

I have enabled web server and virtual host. I created a folder called 'Web' on the server with numerous subfolders within it, consisting of basic HTML and CSS files, including an index.html file in each of them.

The server is connected to my router, has a static IP address and has Internet access. All is working fine in these regards.

I'm able to access and open the folders and files on the server using 'finder' on my Mac, and display my HTML pages with no problems whatsoever.

I was also abled to access them via my browser by typing in 'http://LAN-IP/Web/folder/index.html' and ’http://LAN-IP/Web/folder‘ and my file/page were instantly displayed.

now I get page error/page can't be displayed, and/or words to the effect that the pages in the location doesn't exist or not found. I tried omitting the 'http' and still it doesn't work. I notice that 8080 is always input automatically after the LAN-IP.

So, with the above problem I enabled created a virtual host and pointed to numerous of these folders which contains HTML pages, including the directories which were all displaying fine, but still no joy. Below are the various names I used when naming the ‘Virtual hosts’

i have looked around on the Internet but find it very hard to find information specific to this issue I am having. Many of which delve off into areas although useful aren’t not relevant at this moment.

I am not using FTP yet. a little too advanced at the moment. I create and save my files to the directory directly or copy and paste them.

I have noticed many have used your advice to remedy their problems.

Are you able to offer me any advice re: the problems highlighted above?

Thanks in advanced for any help/remedy etc you are able to offer.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Rohan wrote:now I get page error/page can't be displayed, and/or words to the effect that the pages in the location doesn't exist or not found. I tried omitting the 'http' and still it doesn't work. I notice that 8080 is always input automatically after the LAN-IP.
First, let's ensure it's not a browser cache thing - drop/empty the browser cache. Then, a redirect from 80 (the default port for http) to 8080 can be done by two things: A) The Web Server is not enabled or not workable, and a QTS process does take over port 80 and redirect all connections to 8080, and B) a index.php in place on the NAS /Web shared folder ... simply get rid of it.
Rohan wrote:So, with the above problem I enabled created a virtual host and pointed to numerous of these folders which contains HTML pages, including the directories which were all displaying fine, but still no joy. Below are the various names I used when naming the ‘Virtual hosts’
Not sure adding more complexity does fix the basic issue. With FTP considered "a little too advanced" I have to bring you in other grounds, regardless :-0 ... Are you aware that Virtual Hosts configurations requires DNS entries resolving names to the NAS IP (resp. the Internet connection public IP), or for test "just" local valid DNS entries, or worst case entries in the test computer hosts file - as otherwise, the Virtual Servers are not workable at all?
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

Hi, the guidebook here is dated 2009! I think web design and technology has evolved considerably over the past 7 years - now with responsive design, mobile first, etc.
Does anyone know of an updated step-by-step based on a third party web server known to run well in Docker, and which has a real user friendly design app that requires little or no programming (interactive graphic element design), while still producing advanced HTML5, Java Script and Ajax code through a "compile" process?
ImageImageImage
Rohan
Starting out

Post by Rohan »

schumaku wrote:
Rohan wrote:now I get page error/page can't be displayed, and/or words to the effect that the pages in the location doesn't exist or not found. I tried omitting the 'http' and still it doesn't work. I notice that 8080 is always input automatically after the LAN-IP.
First, let's ensure it's not a browser cache thing - drop/empty the browser cache. Then, a redirect from 80 (the default port for http) to 8080 can be done by two things: A) The Web Server is not enabled or not workable, and a QTS process does take over port 80 and redirect all connections to 8080, and B) a index.php in place on the NAS /Web shared folder ... simply get rid of it.
Rohan wrote:So, with the above problem I enabled created a virtual host and pointed to numerous of these folders which contains HTML pages, including the directories which were all displaying fine, but still no joy. Below are the various names I used when naming the ‘Virtual hosts’
Not sure adding more complexity does fix the basic issue. With FTP considered "a little too advanced" I have to bring you in other grounds, regardless :-0 ... Are you aware that Virtual Hosts configurations requires DNS entries resolving names to the NAS IP (resp. the Internet connection public IP), or for test "just" local valid DNS entries, or worst case entries in the test computer hosts file - as otherwise, the Virtual Servers are not workable at all?
Thank you very much for your reply. I tried both suggestions in the first paragraph and none of them solve the problem. I will take the tick out of virtual host and see whether it has any effect in solving it. Sorry, I am new to all this, and it is a steep learning curve for me.
Rohan
Starting out

Post by Rohan »

Rohan wrote:
schumaku wrote:
Thank you very much for your reply. I tried both suggestions in the first paragraph and none of them solve the problem. I will take the tick out of virtual host and see whether it has any effect in solving it. Sorry, I am new to all this, and it is a steep learning curve for me.
Hurray!! it worked. After taking the tick out of 'Virtual Host' box, all my index.html pages are displaying again. All I have to do is type the folder url in the browser, and they display. Thank you very much for your help.

It's unlikely that this will be the last time I may ask for your help. I am learning to build webpages and wants to host them on my home server. There are still tons of things to learn. May the force be with me, because I am going to need it.
anticlockwise
First post

Post by anticlockwise »

I'm stuck here right at the beginning. What could be the problem if my IP doesn't lead me to NAS homepage?
I definitely did everything right, and my ISP is not blocking any of my ports.
DominicS
First post

Post by DominicS »

I Cannot find: Mnt -> HDA_ROOT -> .config -> apache on my qnap with WINSCP....
loknath_p
Starting out

Post by loknath_p »

Hello

I have a Public IP to router. and A records of my 3 domains pointed to my Public IP. All the ports forwarded to internal static IP of NAS. i have enabled webserver, installed phpmyadmin and have created 3 virtual hosted. When i use PublicIP/virtualhost i get my pages display but when i try with url of domains hosted it display my NAS admin page. What changes i need to make and where do i have to make the changes for all three domains to be display properly.

Thanks.

Return to “Web Server & Applications (Apache + PHP + MySQL / SQLite)”