Wildcard SSL certificates

Post your questions about Web Server usage and Apache + PHP + MySQL/SQLite web applications.
blixa
New here

Wildcard SSL certificates

Post by blixa »

Hi, I have a ssl wildcard certificate for my domain issued by Symantec. I can't import it to qnap (version 4.3.3). The machine says that the certificate is "illegal".

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.
schumaku
Guru

Re: Wildcard SSL certificates

Post by schumaku »

You have the two (resp. three) part required in PEM format - the certificate, the non-encrypted/password-less private key, and the chain file?
blixa
New here

Post by blixa »

I think so, I followed the instructions as per https://advancedhomeserver.com/qnap-ssl-management/, so I have a *.crt and a *.key file ascii files (and they don't have a password).
Do I need the intermediate certificate from the CA?

Thanks.
blixa
New here

Post by blixa »

I have tried to import it with the corresponding intermediate certificate but no luck. Still "illegal".
blixa
New here

Re: Wildcard SSL certificates SOLVED

Post by blixa »

I managed to make it work by copying the *.cer file generated by openssl and pasting only the section between "BEGIN" and "END" into a new *.pem file.

In a previous version of QTS you had to paste the text directly so It was clearer that only the section between BEGIN and END was valid. The present version of QTS lets you upload the files, so you have to have a "clean" file.

Hope my experience helps someone else out there.

Cheers!
awair
Getting the hang of things

Post by awair »

I just got this error (or something similar).

When I created my key/CSR, I was prompted for a passphrase (to secure the key?)

Using the generated key, and cert, resulted in an "illegal" error.

I recreated a new key/CSR, without a passphrase, and requested a new certificate. The process worked, and was accepted by my QNAP.

I vaguely remember having to convert the key file last year, by supplying the passphrase, but can't recall how...
TS-670 Pro (4.2.0 Build 20160311)
TS-559 Pro+ (Somewhere between 3.8.4 Build 20130816 & 4.2.1 Build 20160601)
TS-469L (4.2.0 Build 20160311)
TS-269L (4.2.0 Build 20160311)
lubomir.hykl
New here

Post by lubomir.hykl »

I tried to import Wildcard SSL into QNAP and unfortunately the dialog error was displayed illegal. Please let me tell you how to import step by step and thank you very much.
lubomir.hykl
New here

Re: Wildcard SSL certificates SOLVED

Post by lubomir.hykl »

blixa wrote:I managed to make it work by copying the *.cer file generated by openssl and pasting only the section between "BEGIN" and "END" into a new *.pem file.

In a previous version of QTS you had to paste the text directly so It was clearer that only the section between BEGIN and END was valid. The present version of QTS lets you upload the files, so you have to have a "clean" file.

Hope my experience helps someone else out there.

Cheers!
I tried to import Wildcard SSL into QNAP and unfortunately the dialog error was displayed illegal. Please let me tell you how to import step by step and thank you very much.

Return to “Web Server & Applications (Apache + PHP + MySQL / SQLite)”