Chrome error trying to connect: "Your connection is not private" (SSL cert. present)

Post your questions about Web Server usage and Apache + PHP + MySQL/SQLite web applications.
KoenTanghe
New here

Chrome error trying to connect: "Your connection is not private" (SSL cert. present)

Post by KoenTanghe »

Hi,

this is something that's been bothering me for quite a while now: whenever I try to connect to the browser-based admin panel of my NAS (an old TS-509 Pro which has been working very well over the past years by the way), I am seeing an error message in Chrome saying: "Your connection is not private", and then this code: NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID
I can still ignore this, and click "Proceed to nas (unsafe)" and all works fine (I end up at https://nas:4433/cgi-bin/ and can login fine).

I did install an SSL certificate on the NAS: a wildcard certificate that I also use for my website *.mycompany.com, and it is current and valid.
But I think the issue is that my NAS is not setup in the mycompany.com domain, and so the certificate doesn't match the NAS's domain, which rightfully leads to Chrome warning about this mismatch.

So, my question is: how and where can I change this (preferably through the admin panel), so that I can setup the NAS to be nas.mycompany.com for example, which should fix this, I guess?
The NAS doesn't run a public webserver, I mainly use it for backups and data set storage.

Thanks,
Koen
jaysona
Been there, done that

Re: Chrome error trying to connect: "Your connection is not private" (SSL cert. present)

Post by jaysona »

KoenTanghe wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:42 am Hi,

this is something that's been bothering me for quite a while now: whenever I try to connect to the browser-based admin panel of my NAS (an old TS-509 Pro which has been working very well over the past years by the way), I am seeing an error message in Chrome saying: "Your connection is not private", and then this code: NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID
I can still ignore this, and click "Proceed to nas (unsafe)" and all works fine (I end up at https://nas:4433/cgi-bin/ and can login fine).

I did install an SSL certificate on the NAS: a wildcard certificate that I also use for my website *.mycompany.com, and it is current and valid.
But I think the issue is that my NAS is not setup in the mycompany.com domain, and so the certificate doesn't match the NAS's domain, which rightfully leads to Chrome warning about this mismatch.

So, my question is: how and where can I change this (preferably through the admin panel), so that I can setup the NAS to be nas.mycompany.com for example, which should fix this, I guess?
The NAS doesn't run a public webserver, I mainly use it for backups and data set storage.

Thanks,
Koen
The reason Chrome is reporting those errors is because the NAS IP does not match a DNS FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name), there are two ways to fix this, external DNS server host name entry or entry on your pc.

For Windows, you will need to add the IP address of your NAS to the hosts files in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc The entry would look something like this:

Code: Select all

192.168.249.108		hostname.mycompany.com	hostname
** of course you will need to use your own internal IP address and hostname, but you should get the idea.

But all of this is really unnecessary, the web browser connection is quite private, even with the certificate error message, the message is just a false positive due to some draconian members of the CA/B forum. :roll:
RAID is not a Back-up!

H/W: QNAP TVS-871 (i7-4790. 16GB) (Plex server) / TVS-EC1080 (32Gig ECC) - VM host & seedbox
H/W: Asustor AS6604T (8GB) / Asustor AS7010T (16GB) (media storage)
H/W: TS-219 Pro / TS-509 Pro
O/S: Slackware 14.2 / MS Windows 7-64 (x5)
Router1: Asus RT-AC86U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router2: Asus RT-AC68U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router3: Linksys WRT1900AC - DD-WRT v3.0-r46816 std
Router4: Asus RT-AC66U - FreshTomato v2021.10.15

Misc: Popcorn Hour A-110/WN-100, Pinnacle Show Center 250HD, Roku SoundBridge Radio (all retired)
Ditched QNAP units: TS-269 Pro / TS-253 Pro (8GB) / TS-509 Pro / TS-569 Pro / TS-853 Pro (8GB)
TS-670 Pro x2 (i7-3770s 16GB) / TS-870 Pro (i7-3770 16GB) / TVS-871 (i7-4790s 16GB)
KoenTanghe
New here

Re: Chrome error trying to connect: "Your connection is not private" (SSL cert. present)

Post by KoenTanghe »

The Windows hosts file worked fine, and I'll keep it like that for now.
Thanks,
Koen
kiodos
Starting out

Post by kiodos »

jaysona wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:17 am
KoenTanghe wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:42 am Hi,

Thanks,
Koen
The reason Chrome is reporting those errors is because the NAS IP does not match a DNS FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name), there are two ways to fix this, external DNS server host name entry or entry on your pc.

For Windows, you will need to add the IP address of your NAS to the hosts files in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc The entry would look something like this:

Code: Select all

192.168.249.108		hostname.mycompany.com	hostname
** of course you will need to use your own internal IP address and hostname, but you should get the idea.

But all of this is really unnecessary, the web browser connection is quite private, even with the certificate error message, the message is just a false positive due to some draconian members of the CA/B forum. :roll:
I am looking for the same thing but under MacOS...how to add local IP address to certified hosts?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Return to “Web Server & Applications (Apache + PHP + MySQL / SQLite)”