Help! I don't know what is going on (DNS? IP?)

Post your questions about Web Server usage and Apache + PHP + MySQL/SQLite web applications.
LHamstra
First post

Help! I don't know what is going on (DNS? IP?)

Post by LHamstra »

Hello,
Hopefully this won't be too long or complicated.
I am at a small school and we have one ICT room with a QNAP TS-253Be.
There are a few desktops in this room as well and they are connected to the server through... ways. I am not a netwerk administrator, I am a software developer. Everything was already set up and working (most of the time) when I came here.
Now, recently, I cannot access the server anymore from the computers and I can also not get any internet anymore through the ethernet cables.
I was looking at IP's and the DNS setup because that is all I could think of.
All computers have a manual IPv4 DNS server address setup to 196.182.1.137.
The QNAP server has a static IPv4 address of 192.182.1.137 and a primary DNS address of 208.67.222.123 and a secondary DNS address of 208.67.220.123 (OpenDNS servers).
Is this in any way enough information that someone could maybe see where it is going wrong?
Again, please forgive me if this is not clear, I am still in the process of learning :S
Thepuss
New here

Re: Help! I don't know what is going on (DNS? IP?)

Post by Thepuss »

You should check what's going on at the router, which is presumably your internet gateway, if you have a relatively simple network set-up.
(The QNAP should have a gateway IP address that points to the router)

While there isn't really enough info to go on here, check that the Static IP that the NAS is using is actually registered/reserved as "static" in the router DHCP table.
If it isn't then a Router reboot (or power loss situation) may well have caused an address conflict.
===========================================
TS-332X fw: 5.0.0.1828

Return to “Web Server & Applications (Apache + PHP + MySQL / SQLite)”