[ RetroArch] [1.14.0 ] [ HDStation4 ] program with which you can play many emulators and games

This is the best place for community developers to publish their genius work. Your Apps enrich the QNAP Turbo NAS.
QNAP_Stephane
Experience counts

Re: [ RetroArch] [ HDStation ] program with which you can play many emulators and games

Post by QNAP_Stephane »

ok let me know which lib i must add in a short summary..
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Find all QPKG in the MyQnap.org repository https://www.myqnap.org
join our discord server for any inquiry related to qpkg - https://discord.gg/4fPxHSWKQW

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
skywalke7
Starting out

Re: [ RetroArch] [ HDStation ] program with which you can play many emulators and games

Post by skywalke7 »

Brilliant! Please do update when you can - I've had a crazy weekend trying to find anyway of getting any emulators to work and have failed. I'm desperate to get this sorted :).
skywalke7
Starting out

Post by skywalke7 »

Brilliant! Please do update when you can - I've had a crazy weekend trying to find anyway of getting any emulators to work and have failed. I'm desperate to get this sorted :).
maudrid
New here

Post by maudrid »

Ok, back with the promised update.
Caution: I am by no means a Linux expert, there may be a way better way to do this. You mileage may vary.

So here are, loosely, the steps I followed:
Download these to deb packages:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ut ... p1/1.2.1-9
http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/amd64/libdnet

Extract libdnet_2.62_amd64.deb\data.tar\.\usr\lib\libdnet.so.2.43.2 to a temporary location.
Extract libslp1_1.2.1-9_amd64.deb\data.tar\.\usr\lib\libslp.so.1.0.1 to temporary location.

Copy the 2 extracted files to your NAS. For me it was \\NAS\Public (On my network using SMB)

I used Putty to SSH into the NAS using my admin user and password.

Once in, change the directory to where RetroArch is installed.
For me it was /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/RetroArch
[~] # cd /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/RetroArch

6. Now go to the directory where the libraries are located:
[/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/RetroArch/] # cd opt/x86_64-linux-gnu

copy the new libraries to this folder:
[/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/RetroArch/opt/x86_64-linux-gnu] # cp /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Public/libslp.so.1.0.1 .
[/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/RetroArch/opt/x86_64-linux-gnu] # cp /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Public/libdnet.so.2.43.2 .

8. Next we need to create symlinks
[/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/RetroArch/opt/x86_64-linux-gnu] # ln -s libslp.so.1.0.1 libslp.so.1
[/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/RetroArch/opt/x86_64-linux-gnu] # ln -s libdnet.so.2.43.2 libdnet.so.2

9. Check to see if it's all fine:
[/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/RetroArch/opt/x86_64-linux-gnu] # ls -Flas libdnet*
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 admin administ 17 Aug 22 18:12 libdnet.so.2 -> libdnet.so.2.43.2
24 -rwxr-xr-x 1 admin administ 22744 Aug 22 18:08 libdnet.so.2.43.2

[/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/RetroArch/opt/x86_64-linux-gnu] # ls -Flas libslp*
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 admin administ 15 Aug 21 22:37 libslp.so.1 -> libslp.so.1.0.1*
72 -rwxr-xr-x 1 admin administ 73024 Aug 22 18:08 libslp.so.1.0.1*

10. you may have to set permissions on the libraries, I'm not sure. Use chmod to do that.
skywalke7
Starting out

Post by skywalke7 »

Thanks, I will try this later. What roms/emulators have you tested/installed? Are the emulators included in the package?

Thanks again.
skywalke7
Starting out

[ RetroArch] [ HDStation ] program with which you can play many emulators and games

Post by skywalke7 »

I tried the above and it just did the same thing as before - loading but nothing happens.

I tried rebooting but still...nothing.

The only thing I haven't done is change any permissions. Do you have to change these? I am logged in as admin.

Can you think of any further steps or anything you might have missed from the guide?

Many thanks
maudrid
New here

Post by maudrid »

Let me tell you how i did the diagnosis, maybe it will help you. Teach a man to fish and all that.
I'm not at home right now, so I can't give you specifics.

In the RetroArch install directory there is a directory with the start and stop shell scripts (don't remember the name right now)
Open the startup_RetroArch.sh script in an editor, I was using nano, but I think vi is also installed.
You can make a backup if you want using the copy command.
cp startup_RetroArch.sh startup_RetroArch.sh.bak

In more or less the middle of the file there is a line that launches the application.
It looks something like this:
$SOME_DIR/bin/RetroArch &

Just before the ampersand "&" I added in a command to pipe the result (stdout and stderr) to a log file and I also turned on verbose logging.
So mine now looke something like this:
$SOME_DIR/bin/RetroArch --verbose > /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Public/logfile.txt 2>&1 &

Save this and the next time you run RetroArch, you should have a new text file with an error message.
Once you know what it complains about, you can take steps top resolve the problem.
skywalke7
Starting out

Post by skywalke7 »

Thanks for your help.

I checked your steps again. Its strange - I copied both libraried and created the symlinks but when verifying one of the original libraries was missing so I copied it across again. I then CHMOD'd it to the same as the other (RWXR_XR_X) and then restarted QNAP. It then loaded! Thanks!

Have you had any look getting a controller to work/map? I understand XPAD is needed for the Xbox 360 Controller but is it ok to just use the normal linux commands to install this on the qnap and then maybe configure some conf files? Or is this a no go for the QNAP.

Thanks again.
maudrid
New here

Post by maudrid »

I have not gotten any further than getting retroArch installed.
I also have an xbox 360 (wireless) controller with USB dongle for PC. So if anyone has a clue how to get that working, that would be great.
I'm considering getting a pair of iBuffalo USB controllers from Amazon, I don't know if they will work.
skywalke7
Starting out

Post by skywalke7 »

Would you know how to get the Xbox controller working Stephanie? Can XPAD be installed manually?

Thanks,
QNAP_Stephane
Experience counts

Post by QNAP_Stephane »

No idea

think xbox_drv application must be ported in HDStation, or R&D must include it natively in HDStation (better solution)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

join our discord server for any inquiry related to qpkg - https://discord.gg/4fPxHSWKQW

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
skywalke7
Starting out

Post by skywalke7 »

Hi Stephanie,

Does that mean it is not possible for any controller to work out of the box with HDStation?

Would you know how we could achieve this?

It is amazing to have RetroArch as an useable app on HDStation but without HDStation allow controller support its almost like half of the element is missing,

Hope you can help,

Thanks,
QNAP_Stephane
Experience counts

Post by QNAP_Stephane »

think best way to implement controller support is to open a ticket for R&D implementation, i cant check for it, i dont have Joystick or Xbox/PS3 controller**

skywalke7
Starting out

Post by skywalke7 »

Sorry to sound silly but what is a 'ticket for R&D implementation'. I have the helpdesk app so just raise it there? I cant see an R&D category.

Thanks,
QNAP_Stephane
Experience counts

Post by QNAP_Stephane »

just to implement over HDStation the Joystick support, because we start to have some game there

yes you can do it over Helpdesk apps

Return to “Community Apps”