SSH from QNAP Web GUI?

Ask community developers’ help for your most wanted Apps and also discover what the hottest and ultimate Apps are.
oyvindo
Experience counts

SSH from QNAP Web GUI?

Post by oyvindo »

This may be a strange request, but I often miss the ability to issue command lines directly from the QTS Web GUI.
I know I can SSH/Telnet into the server from any remote workstation(PC), but sometimes that's inconvenient or simply impossible.

When you log on to the QTS Web interface, there should have been a possibility to open a command line window (just like cmd in Windows) to allow an admin user to issue any commands directly through the browser.
It would be an ideal solution when connecting through cloudlink from a corporate PC where the use of VPN and Telnet etc is restricted. (Need admin to install and/or port 22 closed).

Does a solution for this exist in QPKG or Entware?
ImageImageImage
mtz_ro_2003
Know my way around

Re: SSH from QNAP Web GUI?

Post by mtz_ro_2003 »

"shellinabox" from AppCenter might be what you are looking for...
Model: TS-453 Pro 16GB - HyperX Impact, 16GB, DDR3, 1866MHz, CL11, 1.35v, Dual Channel Kit
Firmware: 4.2.1 build 20160601
Disks: 4 x 4TB WD Red (WD40EFRX) RAID5
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

mtz_ro_2003 wrote:"shellinabox" from AppCenter might be what you are looking for...
Thanks for your reply, but I do not think this is quite it. Shellinabox opens in a browser. I'm looking for something that opens in a an Ajax window within QTS Web (Just like File station). The reason being that browser sessions are not supported by Cloudlink. Correct me if I'm wrong...
ImageImageImage
mtz_ro_2003
Know my way around

Post by mtz_ro_2003 »

I didn't see any 3rd party apps that work inside QTS...
Maybe when apps like shellinabox will be provided by Qnap.
I agree that using Cloudlink is easier than setting up port forwarding, but this might be the only solution for what you are asking...
Maybe someone else has another idea?
Model: TS-453 Pro 16GB - HyperX Impact, 16GB, DDR3, 1866MHz, CL11, 1.35v, Dual Channel Kit
Firmware: 4.2.1 build 20160601
Disks: 4 x 4TB WD Red (WD40EFRX) RAID5
peelos
Been there, done that

Post by peelos »

keybox installed via an NGinx reverse proxy: viewtopic.php?f=320&t=111719&hilit=keybox
NAS: TVS-1282-i7-7700-40G / 4 x 500GB SSD 2.5" RAID 10 / 2 x 500GB M.2 SSD / 8 x 12TB WD Whites 3.5" RAID 6 / Noctua L9x65 / 3 x 80mm PWM Noctua fans / Corsair 600W PSU / Asus Turbo GTX 1060 6GB GPU
Software: Plex Media Server / Transmission / Sonarr / Radarr / Bazarr / Jackett / Tautulli / Home Assistant / Resilio Sync / Python / NetData / SortMyQPKGs
pfSense Firewall / OpenVPN Server: QOTOM Fanless Mini PC / Core i5 / 8GB RAM / 128GB SSD / 4 Gigabit NICs / AES-NI
Wireless Routers: 2 x Netgear AC1900 R7000 Nighthawk / 1 x Netgear AC3200 R8000 Nighthawk / FreshTomato Firmware
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

Excellent @peelos. Thansk for the advice and the link.
Meanwhile - since I first posted this question, I have discovered that my ISP is blocking port 80 and port 443. Do you know of any means to allow external traffic through without having to "teach" visitors to use a different port?
ImageImageImage
peelos
Been there, done that

Post by peelos »

I've never heard of an ISP blocking the port. I can imagine the modem / router from your ISP could have a port blocked by default, but you should be able to change the port forwarding on the modem.

Nginx can also be configured to run on another port than 443, but you would have to have that configured port forwarded to your internal NAS IP Address.

Another other option would be to use the ISP modem in bridge mode, and have an open source 3rd party firmware installed on a compatible router, such as DD-WRT http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index or Tomato: https://advancedtomato.com/. - these firmwares will allow much more control over your router and allow Dynamic DNS services from various providers, working in a way similar to QNapCloud.
NAS: TVS-1282-i7-7700-40G / 4 x 500GB SSD 2.5" RAID 10 / 2 x 500GB M.2 SSD / 8 x 12TB WD Whites 3.5" RAID 6 / Noctua L9x65 / 3 x 80mm PWM Noctua fans / Corsair 600W PSU / Asus Turbo GTX 1060 6GB GPU
Software: Plex Media Server / Transmission / Sonarr / Radarr / Bazarr / Jackett / Tautulli / Home Assistant / Resilio Sync / Python / NetData / SortMyQPKGs
pfSense Firewall / OpenVPN Server: QOTOM Fanless Mini PC / Core i5 / 8GB RAM / 128GB SSD / 4 Gigabit NICs / AES-NI
Wireless Routers: 2 x Netgear AC1900 R7000 Nighthawk / 1 x Netgear AC3200 R8000 Nighthawk / FreshTomato Firmware
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

Well, my ISP confirmed that port 80, 443 and 25 is blocked. My understanding is that these blocks were implemented in their infrastructure and not in each subscribers router/firewall. They called it "corporate security policy".
I guess my only choice is to use an external reverse proxy.
ImageImageImage
CylonCenturion

Post by CylonCenturion »

peelos wrote:I've never heard of an ISP blocking the port. I can imagine the modem / router from your ISP could have a port blocked by default, but you should be able to change the port forwarding on the modem.
Some ISP providers in the Netherlands are blocking port 25, in order to avoid spam from a unpatched, hacked mailserver that users running at home.
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

Exactly!
ImageImageImage
CylonCenturion

Post by CylonCenturion »

oyvindo wrote:Exactly!
Thanks. :D

Currently the biggest Cable ISP here has been sewed by a an copyright agency , in order to block access to The Pirate Bay.
Around April 2017 the court will decide wheter the ISP has to block access or not.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

peelos wrote:I've never heard of an ISP blocking the port. I can imagine the modem / router from your ISP could have a port blocked by default, but you should be able to change the port forwarding on the modem.
Some ISPs in my country block 80 & 443 for domestic (home) accounts. They don't want people running web-servers from home.

If you buy a business account (which start at 3 times the cost), then they unblock these ports. :roll:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

So, what we need to do, is to find a mutual way around these blood-**, right!
I mean - after all, they don't know much about technology anyway. But we do! Right?
So let's get to work and show them who rules :-)
ImageImageImage
peelos
Been there, done that

Post by peelos »

Wow, unlucky for you guys! Even more of a reason to get Nginx setup on another port with a reverse proxy ;)
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

So, naturally, I only use ISPs that don't block those ports. :D

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Apps Wanted”