Internet browser

Ask community developers’ help for your most wanted Apps and also discover what the hottest and ultimate Apps are.
dusterz
New here

Internet browser

Post by dusterz »

I know this has come up in the past, but being new to the community I wanted to register my interest. I would very much like a basic Web Browser App.

Doesn't need to be fancy, just something so that on rare occasions I can easily access other devices inside my home network when I am away from home. For example, being able to log into the admin interface on my home router (which is not visible on WAN side) so that I can configure port forwarding if I've installed a new app. Setting up a VPN/Proxy seems overkill when I just need to on occasion access a web interface of a different device inside of my home network.

Thanks for listening.
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Re: Internet browser

Post by Toxic17 »

so how do you expect to securely access this web browser inside your LAN if you not using a VPN?
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
dusterz
New here

Post by dusterz »

Hi Toxic, thanks for reading. I currently forward port 8080 on my router. I don't whish this thread to descend into the merits of security, but just to say that I am comfortable having the QNAP web interface exposed. While I could also expose the routers interface, I don't wish to poke more holes in my router than I need to. Also, accessing the router was just an example - I have a few other devices internally which on rare occasion I'd like to be able to browse to. Some of which I wrote so I wouldn't trust its security and wouldn't expose them directly to the internet, but would be happy to access them once I've authenticated with the QNAP. As I said, it's for very occasional use as it isn't exactly efficient accessing a browser from within a browser!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

dont think there is a virtual webbrowser .. because you are already using a webbrowser to access port 8080 (your nas webinterface)

that would be browserception .. so to say

the only webrowsers available on the nas are on hdstation (hdmi) or via some form of vm (vm station,linuxstation)
razormoon
Easy as a breeze

Post by razormoon »

Hi dusterz,
Just for a 'little' peace of mind, you should redirect 8080 on the router and that way you won't be easy to find.
So say, you can change the number on the WAN side to 45588 and redirect back to 8080. It will be a long time before someone successfully 'knocks'.

I'm running Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 and have VPN configured. All of the laptops in my household automatically log in from the internet.
With my account, whenever I am out on the road it connects to my server and from there I can see (and configure) all the devices in my network.
So...in a nutshell, VPN will probably be the only thing that will accomplish what you need. I believe some remote desktops allow you to do this as well being that they work on the same principle.
You can also find some in 3rd party repo.
:!: TVS-871-i7-16G 5.0.0.1932 Build 20220129, KODI, WSE 2019
:?: 1 x KINGSTON SNV325S2 as 2mb block cache, WDC WD40EFRX as RAID5, 1 x WDC WD40EFRX as iSCSI
:idea: APC PRO 1500 S
:-0 WIKI SUPPORT

"Nothing is impossible. Only expensive, illegal or both."
carlots251
Starting out

Post by carlots251 »

I'd like to have this APP too, basic Web browser inside nas (like others apps).
The reasons are many:
- access from remote website from home IP (when there is a ip filtering),
- access local web devices if I don't want open public doors/nat etc. etc.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

install a vm then
carlots251
Starting out

Post by carlots251 »

Nope
VM are ove 8088 port. So I must:
-open 8088 port (or traslate a X port to 8088) to access to virtualization station
-open rdp port (or traslate a X port to 3389) to access rdp on vm.
I could use teamviewer or similar on VM, but is a Server OS so the licence doesn't work for much time, or at all.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

carlots251 wrote:VM are ove 8088 port. So I must:
-open 8088 port (or traslate a X port to 8088) to access to virtualization station
Why must you do that? I see that as unnecessary and insecure.
-open rdp port (or traslate a X port to 3389) to access rdp on vm.
Yes if you want to access an internal service you need to have at least one way in but you could instead close 8080, as that would now be available here.

Advantages with a VM over this feature request are:
  • It's available right now.
  • It give you freedom to do many more things than just web browsing.
  • You can use whichever browser you want instead of the one the appmaker chooses.
  • You use the original browser that supports the plug-ins that you like and automatically can be kept fully updated and secure.
  • You're not in the hands of a third-party appmaker that will always be behind schedule if they even make updates regularly available (Qnap doesn't have a great track record at that...).
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
carlots251
Starting out

Post by carlots251 »

P3R wrote:
carlots251 wrote:VM are ove 8088 port. So I must:
Why must you do that? I see that as unnecessary and insecure.[/list]
yes, I Agree about that. 8)
P3R wrote:
carlots251 wrote:-open rdp port (or traslate a X port to 3389) to access rdp on vm.
Yes if you want to access an internal service you need to have at least one way in but you could instead close 8080, as that would now be available here.
[/list]
Yes its unsecure i agree too. 8)
P3R wrote:
carlots251 wrote: Advantages with a VM over this feature request are:
  • It's available right now.
  • It give you freedom to do many more things than just web browsing.
  • You can use whichever browser you want instead of the one the appmaker chooses.
  • You use the original browser that supports the plug-ins that you like and automatically can be kept fully updated and secure.
  • You're not in the hands of a third-party appmaker that will always be behind schedule if they even make updates regularly available (Qnap doesn't have a great track record at that...).
Nope, But I must ativate the VM (need qnap's resources).

An Web Brownser as APP in Qnap could be pretty much easier.
chantavu
Starting out

Post by chantavu »

Yes. I have the same need. Please advise if we can have a web browser app on QNAP
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

they introduced browser station (needs a container capable nas) did you check that out ?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

dolbyman wrote:they introduced browser station (needs a container capable nas) did you check that out ?
Yes it's a "light weight" VM solution but please note that it:
  • Is in beta testing status
  • Requires QTS version 4.2.2 or higher
  • Requires Container Station, v1.7.2224 or higher
  • Requires at least 4GB RAM
  • Presently only supported on TS-x53U, TS-x53A, TS-x53, TS-x53B, TS-453Bmini, TVS-x63+, TVS-x63, TS-x63U, TS-x70, TVS-x70, TVS-x71, TVS-x73, TS/SS-x79, TS/TVS-x80, TVS-x82, TVS-x82T, TVS-x82ST, TES-x85U, TDS-16489U
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
boborene
New here

Post by boborene »

carlots251 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:42 pm I'd like to have this APP too, basic Web browser inside nas (like others apps).
Yes. I perfectly understand you. Sometime you need to test web from NAS and you are forced to use a lousy container.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Thread marked for closure due to necroposting (5 years)

Return to “Apps Wanted”