Speed Test app for NAS

Ask community developers’ help for your most wanted Apps and also discover what the hottest and ultimate Apps are.
DickyDck
Getting the hang of things

Speed Test app for NAS

Post by DickyDck »

Is there an app where you can test the speed from QNAP to internet? Wanted to test various VPN connection speeds coming in through the VPN setups I've been using.
Don
Guru

Re: Speed Test app for NAS

Post by Don »

Did you check the QNAP QPKGs or the QNAP Club Store? I think I saw Speedtest in there.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

A great speed test is to download a single large file a couple of times from a server that's verified to not introduce unncessary bottlenecks on the server side and then divide the file size with a stop-watch time in seconds.

Many ISPs have test files for download and ISPs often have decent internet connections.

Advantages are that no app need to be installed, that you as a user have more control and that the testing infrastructure is often better.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
flagator
Know my way around

Post by flagator »

Don wrote:Did you check the QNAP QPKGs or the QNAP Club Store? I think I saw Speedtest in there.
Speedtest is in there but adding QPKG store as an app repository to App Center crashed my App Center. Tried it twice with same result. Just an FYI to anyone else who may want to add QPKG store to App Center. YMMV of course.
Dan

TVS-473-8GB
QTS Version 4.3.4.0695 Build 2018/08/30
Storage Pool 1 - HDD Volume1 - Four WD Red 4TB in RAID 6 - Thick-Provisioned
NAS backup to WD Red 8TB via USB Dock
CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD
Gigabit home network
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

I have the QNAP Club Store added to mine with no issues.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
rjmehra
New here

Post by rjmehra »

Has anyone got this to work?

I've tried installing it through the qnap club repo and also just as a qpkg but in both cases when you click the icon it takes you to nothingness.
The address is <nas ip>:8081/speedtest
but it's just a deadpage.

Anyone had the same thing happen? And any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks

(BTW. I'm trying to get an idea of my 8-drive Raid-6 arrays real read/write speeds as that will factor into whether I upgrade to 10Gbe or stick to 1Gbe)
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

if you have a decent 8 bay, you will get anywhere from 600 - 1000 MB/sec between your computer and your QNAP over 10G.
That is provided you are using a decent 8 bay like a TVS-872XT, and not a TS-832X.
You can just download AJA System Test or Blackmagic Disk Speed test - both are free on the web, to do your speed tests.
this is also popular
https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskmark/

You are probably doing the QNAP Club wrong ( I am guessing). This is for iPerf, that gets loaded into the App center on the QNAP. You still have
to run the iPerf commands on your computer to see the results.
these are the instructions that you have to do on your QNAP for QNAPClub -
https://qnapclub.eu/en/howto/1

once this is done, you click on the QNAPClub icon in your QNAP, and you select iPerf or search for iPerf.
You don't "download" this to your computer from the QNAPClub website.
Bob
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
daNutz

Post by daNutz »

I host LibreSpeed
TS-1079Pro - 30TB - RAID 6 - FW: 4.3.6.2232 - MultiMedia
TS-453 Pro - 12TB - RAID 5 - OS: Ubuntu Server 22.04.2 / Docker
SelfHosted
NAS Migration Compatibility

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
DiliMe

Post by DiliMe »

rjmehra wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:01 pm Has anyone got this to work?

I've tried installing it through the qnap club repo and also just as a qpkg but in both cases when you click the icon it takes you to nothingness.
The address is <nas ip>:8081/speedtest
but it's just a deadpage.

Anyone had the same thing happen? And any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks

(BTW. I'm trying to get an idea of my 8-drive Raid-6 arrays real read/write speeds as that will factor into whether I upgrade to 10Gbe or stick to 1Gbe)

You have to prior install any web server, either to enable the one from Qnap Settings or to install apache.
*(Main) TS-253A/8GB - \\SMB server for family documents; SurveilanceStation for 4 x cctv cams; Kodi for playing Movies on TV-HDMI; QuMagie for watching photos archive on smartphones; QMusic for listening music on smartphones; QFile for auto backup of smartphones photos; AutoBackup of family OneDrive/GDrive; Containers (iperf, nginx-proxy, uptime-kuma, influxdb)

*(Backup) TS-112/0,5GB - SurveilanceStation for 2 x cctv cams; RTRR of CCTV live recording from TS-253A; RTRR of all shared folders from TS-253A
lesterw
New here

Post by lesterw »

daNutz wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:56 pm I host LibreSpeed
Thank you for actually reading and replying to the original question!
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Locked due to necroposting.

Return to “Apps Wanted”