Hybred Backup RTRR two way replication to CIFS

Ask community developers’ help for your most wanted Apps and also discover what the hottest and ultimate Apps are.
glatiak
Starting out

Hybred Backup RTRR two way replication to CIFS

Post by glatiak »

In my windows/linux LAN some machines can write to the NAS and others prefer to write to my Windows server. With my WDMyCloud I had a replication process running using Allwaysynch that kept shares in synch between the Windows server shares and their replicas on the WD. This was a bi-directional update process that could propagate deletions if I so chose. I had been hoping that the Hybred Backup replication would provide an equivalent functionality. But I see that if I want to replicate between a share on the QNAP and a share on the Windows 2012r2 server my only choice is one way... so one has to be the master always and the other merely a backup copy.

Be real nice if two way replication were available within the QNAP NAS.

greg latiak
P3R
Guru

Re: Hybred Backup RTRR two way replication to CIFS

Post by P3R »

Two-way sync is only supported with Qnap-proprietary RTRR protocol so only possible Qnap-to-Qnap.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Apps Wanted”