Feature Request:Recreate Backup job using existing container

rjokic
New here

Feature Request:Recreate Backup job using existing container

Post by rjokic »

Hi,

I recently moved storage location in Azure. I thought it would be a simple process to re-point my qnap to the new location but found that it expects the location to be empty and wants to re-sync all the data from scratch.

The reason I request the below is if for example, the qnap dies. You get a new one, recover your data locally and the recreate the same backup job to put the sync back in place.

I replicate data from my PC to the QNAP
The Qnap syncs my folders to Azure

Either a feature to allow the use of an existing Container, and a sync of that data compared to data on QNAP
or
Restore Feature, with skip existing files from Azure to QNAP so that the QNAP is aware of what files exist and can then resume the changed files only backup task.
mardianto
Starting out

Re: Feature Request:Recreate Backup job using existing conta

Post by mardianto »

Hi,

The restore job with skipping existing files will be added in the next major release.
QNAP staff
rjokic
New here

Post by rjokic »

Ok. Great. Does that then mean that the backup job will allow you to use the restored data set to recreate the backup job without having to upload the entire content to a new container?
paulchu

Post by paulchu »

Sadly no. But that has been on our roadmap.
georgearchibald
New here

Re: Feature Request:Recreate Backup job using existing container

Post by georgearchibald »

Any update on when this will be in place? I have over a terabyte in Azure and really don't want it ** all my bandwidth for a month redoing what I already have out there.
nbrowne1
First post

Post by nbrowne1 »

Just raised a ticket about this...

Subject: Cloud BackupStation - Azure Storage
Changed the name of my Azure Storage backup job. Now it's not recognising all the files that I've already sync'd to Azure (300+GB worth...)

Error message:
[Azure Storage] Backup job [<backup job name>] failed because the container name is not available (not empty). Please select another one.

Is there any workaround for this?
ghotz
Starting out

Post by ghotz »

Any update on this? I want to move several hundreds GBs to a new cold storage account with AZCopy instead of having to upload again everything from scratch :(
Maciek4
First post

Post by Maciek4 »

I'm also very interested on this. When the "major release" will be ready ?
Now this is a toy not serious backup tool. We pay for every transfer to Microsoft Azure Storage.
ghotz
Starting out

Post by ghotz »

Please re-consider giving priority to this feature, I also would like to move hundreds of GBs to cold storage server-side using AZCopy.
Gubbi
First post

Post by Gubbi »

I can’t believe that this has yet not been handled! I’m in a situation where I need to restore my data from Azure due to disk loss on my NAS and then I need to upload the entire container that I just downloaded in order to continue backing up? This is not anywhere near a serious backup solution!
kymbolino
First post

Post by kymbolino »

I've just bought a new QNAP, transferred all my files across from my old QNAP. Great. Now backup ... what??? Azure is saying I can't create a new job using the old container. I need to re-upload everything?!?! This is madness!

Return to “Microsoft Azure”