HBS 3.0 : unable to choose region anymore

Bobslubnab
Starting out

HBS 3.0 : unable to choose region anymore

Post by Bobslubnab »

Hi,

I just upgraded from HBS 2.1 to HBS 3.0 and just transfered a volume (500GB) from one of our QNAP to another. After the transfer is complete i wanted to setup the cloud backup again on our 2nd server (3.0) but, when creating a new "storage space" i'm asked for a "bucket name" and can open the drop-down menu because HBS 3.0 is unable to find the 20 containers i already have. HBS 3.0 did't ask for the "region name" as HBS2.x was used to do. So i tried creating a container and hope HBS will ask me the region name, i entered the same name as a container i used to backup this volume for a year now. HBS 3.0 created me a new object container on my cloud provider server and that's when i noticed it choose a region for me automaticaly, and of course not the region we usually use.

I'm using OVH as a cloud provider and having 20 containers in Strasbourg and 1 in Warsow is a no-go (and Strasbourg is much closer...).

- Is the removal of the "region name" field intended or is it just a mistake and it will be added again very soon?
- Is there a way to reinstall an old version of HBS?

If the removal is intended i will go back to the "OpenStack Swift" app wich was more clunky and to be honnest felt like an "end of life" product but at least it's working. Or last resort using a 3rd party app not on the QNAP OS...
I'm glad QNAP is adding 20ish new cloud providers but if it mean loosing functionnality on the existing ones, no thank you. Maybe i didn't look deeply enough, in that case my bad...

Thank you in advance.
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Re: HBS 3.0 : unable to choose region anymore

Post by Toxic17 »

Could You raise a support call with QNAP directly since there are a number of users having issues with the newer version and the lack of feature sets of previous versions had.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
Bobslubnab
Starting out

Post by Bobslubnab »

Will do in a few minutes/hours (have to register the new NAS on the qnap website and everything ^^+work)

Thanks for your fast answer (and happy to hear i'm not the only one concerned)
Bobslubnab
Starting out

Post by Bobslubnab »

Support Ticket raised.

I'll let you know in here :)
Bobslubnab
Starting out

Post by Bobslubnab »

Answer from support :

"""
Good morning,

Unfortunately the only version available is now 3.0
Can you send the old vs new change in a form of a video so I can check and if needed escalate?
"""

I won't be able to do the video but joined nice screenshots to the support ticket
Bobslubnab
Starting out

Post by Bobslubnab »

Definitive answer from support :

"""
This is set to be like this and unfortunately by design as the older lay-out was also set by design.
"""

So my company will use the "openstack swift" app (qnap store) we were using before going the HBS route but this app hasn't been updated since 2017. Sad to have even bother using HBS 'cause 6 months after, qnap removed some features when releasing the 3.0 and it's now unusable. So all that work for nothing and double cloud backup bill during the migration month...

When everything will be moved back to the old app, i'll make a last test and let you know if it work. Since the 2.1 version was working (the "region" feature was still there) i'll try to update HBS to 3.0 and see if it keep the same region and if i can create containers (what they call now buckets)
Bobslubnab
Starting out

Post by Bobslubnab »

I received another answer from support this morning, so to be fully honnest and transparent :

"""
Hi,

I am going to create a third line case for this issue and will inform you as soon as I get feedback from the 3th line.
"""

Bottom line : For anyone, like my company, who need to be able to select the region in openstack (if your cloud provider offer only one region you don't need it else you probably do) don't update to Hybrid Backup Station 3.x. If you don't have access to an older version, just use the "openstack swift" app found in the qnap store. There was no recent update on it but it still do its job fairly well (even if it lack some reporting options and stuff like that)

To help anyone in the same situation, I'll update this thread if something new happen :)
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

Thanks for the update.

it might be worth users asking for a link to download earlier versions if possible from QNAP
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
Bobslubnab
Starting out

Post by Bobslubnab »

Bobslubnab wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:26 pm Answer from support :

"""
Good morning,

Unfortunately the only version available is now 3.0
Can you send the old vs new change in a form of a video so I can check and if needed escalate?
"""

I won't be able to do the video but joined nice screenshots to the support ticket
They already answered me that "Unfortunately the only version available is now 3.0" but it cost nothing to ask again. I will do that in my next communication with the support.
They asked this morning to upload a log of the server (i don't know why send a log for a missing function but anything to get this solved :) )and i sent a log from our TVS-1271U-RP and one from our TS-EC1280U (the 1st one with HBS 2.1 and the 2nd with 3.0).

Have a nice weekend
Bobslubnab
Starting out

Post by Bobslubnab »

Hello,
I got an update from support this morning. "Good news everyone", the missing "Region" field will be there again in a next update.
We'll be able to continue using HBS with OpenStack Storage.

"""
Good morning,

The issue has been confirmed as a bug and should be solved in the next release.

Hope to have informed you
"""
Bobslubnab
Starting out

Post by Bobslubnab »

Hello,

To let you know :
Problem solved! After the last HBS3.0 update, the region field is now present.
jacot
Starting out

Post by jacot »

message from OVH:
From 01st October 2019, all Open-RC files will be generated with version 3.0 of the Keystone API for the OVHcloud Control Panel, OpenStack Horizon, and the API.
On 24th March 2020, we will disable version 2.0, leaving only version 3.0 enabled.
Qnap package Openstack Swift is not compatible with keystone version 3.0, so is a new release of this package is planned?
Bobslubnab
Starting out

Re: HBS 3.0 : Authentication error with Keystone V3

Post by Bobslubnab »

Hi,

So funny :D

I'm looking at it since yesterday afternoon when OVH send me reminder mail about this change.
After a lot of tries and errors (mostly errors) i wanted to send a ticket to qnap and took a last look at the forum just in case. I finally end up on the post i started last year with someone having the exact same problem i have right now :D.

So hello Jacot. I raised a ticket with OVH 1hour ago asking them if i could have access to the authentication log to help with the resolution of the problem.

I'm quite sure the problem come from QNAP because i have no issue using Cyberduck to connect to the new endpoint (https://auth.cloud.ovh.net/v3)

Do you already raised a ticket with QNAP? In any case i will but the more people asking, the more likely the issue will be fixed before end of keystone v2.0 support.
Bobslubnab
Starting out

Post by Bobslubnab »

Please find the answer from support below.

Last time there was an issue with HBS it was fixed quite fast so let's hope they'll fix it before the end of the month.
Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting QNAP support.
Unfortunately the HBS3 is not (yet) supporting Open Stack Keystone 3
I have created a feature request for you. However if and or when this will
be implemented I can't tel you.
Therefore I advice you to check the feature release notes of future HBS3 versions.
Since we as support cannot proceed in this request any further I will close this ticket.
Thank you.
jacot
Starting out

Post by jacot »

Got same answer.

Return to “OpenStack Swift”