Rate limit - schedule not working

AlanJS
Starting out

Rate limit - schedule not working

Post by AlanJS »

The rate limit panel does not seem to function 100%.

Although setting an upload speed limit does work as expected, the schedule/interval settings have no effect.

We set a limit of 6MBps, and this upload limit is being enforced 24hrs, 7 days a week.

Currently I am having to change the upload limit manually every evening and morning, as the schedule fails to do anything.

I have attached pictures to show the schedule settings, and also a graph of the speed we achieve when manually removing the upload limit.
qpkg-glacier.jpg
rate-limit-schedule.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Multiple SS-EC2479U-SAS-RP
AlanJS
Starting out

Re: Rate limit - schedule not working

Post by AlanJS »

I also did an inverted test with the schedule set to 7pm - 8am (instead of 8am - 7pm), but the upload speed stayed limited at 6MBps.

:cry:
mardianto
Starting out

Post by mardianto »

Hi,

For backup/restore job average data transfer rate, you may want to check it from each jobs' [View Logs] -> [Status] tab -> "Average data transfer rate".
The upload/download speed under "Resource Monitor" in QTS Dashboard does not represent backup/restore job's average data transfer rate.
QNAP staff
AlanJS
Starting out

Post by AlanJS »

mardianto wrote:Hi,

For backup/restore job average data transfer rate, you may want to check it from each jobs' [View Logs] -> [Status] tab -> "Average data transfer rate".
The upload/download speed under "Resource Monitor" in QTS Dashboard does not represent backup/restore job's average data transfer rate.
Yep, I understand that.

The problem we're having is that the schedule never 'un-caps' the speed. It stays limited 24hrs 7days a week.
AlanJS
Starting out

Post by AlanJS »

I've done some further testing and I now understand the problem.

The schedule works, but the rate limit will only work for lower speeds.

The rate limit does not work with high-speed connections. We have 100Mbps & 1Gbps (upload to Glacier) connections for our QNAP servers.

If setting the rate limit higher than 5MBps (40 megabits/s) it does not work properly. The uploads will only go as fast as 5MBps.

So...
- If we set the the rate limit to unlimited, we achieve full upload speeds 100Mbps - 1Gbps
- If we enable the rate limit with an upload limit of 100MBps : during the rate limited schedule we see upload speeds of 5MBps :cry:
- If we enable the rate limit with an upload limit of 100MBps : outside of the rate limited schedule we see upload speeds of 5MBps :cry:
- If we enable the rate limit with an upload limit of 1MBps : during the rate limited schedule we see upload speeds of 1MBps
- If we enable the rate limit with an upload limit of 1MBps : outside of the rate limited schedule we see upload speeds of 5MBps :cry:

It seems like the rate limiting part of the app code has limitations on how fast it can deal with the data.
AlanJS
Starting out

Post by AlanJS »

I have been advised this will be fixed in CloudBackup Version 1.1.340 (to be released soon).

:ubergeek:
paulchu

Post by paulchu »

Hi, we have addressed this issue in the released v1.1.340. The issue was when throughput was high, the rate limit did not catch up and thus slowed down the transfer. The algorithm has been slightly adjusted.
jeffasweet
First post

Post by jeffasweet »

This issue still exists. If you select 'unlimited' it is fine, and if you put a rate limit and no schedule, it adheres to it some of the time, as soon as you apply a schedule, it breaks and the results are random. It pretty much makes throttling useless.

S3 Plus 1.2.420 running on a TS-453B NAS.
joeldj
First post

Post by joeldj »

I'm on version 4.5.2 using the HBS 3 Hyrbrid Backup app. There appears to be no impact on the rate of traffic at all when engaging the rate limiting features found in the sync job parameters.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

open a ticket and don't post in several year old threads
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

* topic locked to prevent further necroposting *

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Amazon Glacier”