Glacier backup database corrupt

AlanJS
Starting out

Glacier backup database corrupt

Post by AlanJS »

After one of our server's backing up for a few weeks (15TB) and it being 99.9% complete, it's just given the following error below. I'm not sure if this now means the whole backup is destroyed? :shock:

I've continued the backup process again... but expecting it might give the same error very shortly if it is really corrupt.

Just thought I'd warn any other enterprise users that might be considering using it, as it is still BETA software!

Code: Select all

Level: Error 
[Glacier] Backup job [EYED-HDD] failed because the metadata database is corrupted. Please download your files manually from cloud storage. 
Multiple SS-EC2479U-SAS-RP
AlanJS
Starting out

Re: Glacier backup database corrupt

Post by AlanJS »

Update...

The backup ran again, but failed with the following error:

[Glacier] Backup job [EYED-HDD] failed because of failing to access local metadata. Please check you disk status and try again. 
Tried to restore the metadata, but that failed as well:

[Glacier] Restore job [Restore for EYED-HDD] failed because of unknown error. Please try again.
We're going to drop backing up to Glacier and start again with Google Nearline (given the retrieval advantages).

This was with a recent model of the QNAP rack ranges (12 bay) and on a dedicated 100Mbps fibre line.

Some of our other servers backed up successfully to Glacier and have been incrementally backing up the last couple of weeks.
paulchu

Post by paulchu »

Hi, please keep your Glacier backup jobs and contact QNAP helpdesk for investigating this issue. The problem might not be caused by Glacier, because the error messages indicate that your job cannot access the metadata, which is located on hard disks. The issue could be related to local file system and the size of your backup data.
AlanJS
Starting out

Post by AlanJS »

paulchu wrote:Hi, please keep your Glacier backup jobs and contact QNAP helpdesk for investigating this issue. The problem might not be caused by Glacier, because the error messages indicate that your job cannot access the metadata, which is located on hard disks. The issue could be related to local file system and the size of your backup data.
Thanks Paul, will do.
AlanJS
Starting out

Post by AlanJS »

Submitted support ticket, with multiple debug logs.

I will retain the Glacier backup job on the QNAP server for 1-2 weeks only, as it is costing us money by keeping the data in Glacier.
paulchu

Post by paulchu »

Hi, we have had an internal release that improves the error handling of metadata stored on the local file system. We will be working on further verification. Please contact our helpdesk if you would like to have early access.
claeswallin
First post

Post by claeswallin »

Where are we in this subject? I still recive:

[Glacier] Backup job [XyX->xyx] failed because the metadata database is corrupted. Please download your files manually from cloud storage.
Cachorro
Starting out

Post by Cachorro »

Has anyone been able to fix this?

I have started to try backing up to Glacier for a year now.
My backup is not corporate, just for my small home NAS files, on a TS-412.
Back in May 2015 I started with this, and created a successful setup on Glacier (Virginia) and my QNAP NAS backed up successfully up to the 55GB mark.
Then failed with the following error:
- [Glacier] Backup job [job name] failed because of unknown error. Please try again later.
This has gone on till August, failing every time on the scheduled mark. I decided to turn it off and leave it for later.

Now, fastforwarding 1yr, I decided to try again. Updating Glacier Application on the QNAP prompted me to update the QNAP's Firmware to version 4.2...
I did, and then updated Glacier successfully. My setup all remained intact. So, I went ahead and fired it up....
To no surprise, got the same error again.

Any one know what is going ON???
Very much on a deadend for troubleshooting with Glacier logs just reporting "Unknown Error"!
:evil:

Has anyone been across and over this bump? Mayor bump.

Thanks.

Return to “Amazon Glacier”