Restore Without QNAP

TrashMans
Starting out

Restore Without QNAP

Post by TrashMans »

From reading around it sounds like the only way to restore from Glacier is via a QNAP device. In the case of a disaster, it'd be nice to not have to go buy another QNAP to recover. A Windows or OSX App to restore would be ideal. Does anyone know if this exists yet / is being developed?
pwilson
Guru

Re: Restore Without QNAP

Post by pwilson »

TrashMans wrote:From reading around it sounds like the only way to restore from Glacier is via a QNAP device. In the case of a disaster, it'd be nice to not have to go buy another QNAP to recover. A Windows or OSX App to restore would be ideal. Does anyone know if this exists yet / is being developed?
This is a great question. What was Amazon's answer to this question?

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
TrashMans
Starting out

Post by TrashMans »

It's really a questions for QNAP. You can access a QNAP created Glacier archive from many tools (FastGlacier etc), but without a tool to read QNAP's propitiatory meta-database they are just garbably goop files.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

TrashMans wrote:It's really a questions for QNAP.
So let's hope that paulchu read this and respond to you. He's actually been one of the most visible Qnap employees in the forum the last half year (the competition is not in any way fierce) so the odds are at least not breathtakingly bad.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
AlanJS
Starting out

Post by AlanJS »

This is why we've switched to using Google Nearline backup (instead of Glacier).

- You can browse/download the files/bucket directly in the Google Developer's Console or 3rd party software.
- The penalties are less for early deletion
- Near immediate access to data (compared to hours with Glacier)
- $300 free credit with joining Google Cloud Storage

I am certain AWS are already working on modifying Glacier so they don't get pushed out the market by Nearline. It'll be a game of cat and mouse for the next several years I am sure. The biggest issue is for enterprises backing up large amounts of data (petabytes) is that it's not practical to switch easily.
Multiple SS-EC2479U-SAS-RP
rjspring
Starting out

Post by rjspring »

TrashMans wrote:From reading around it sounds like the only way to restore from Glacier is via a QNAP device. In the case of a disaster, it'd be nice to not have to go buy another QNAP to recover. A Windows or OSX App to restore would be ideal. Does anyone know if this exists yet / is being developed?
This is a great question, I just started pushing data w/ the Qnap app and as posted below - running fast glacier only renders garbage in the event of a restore without a Qnap device. Hopefully development is in motion.
QNap - TS-453 Pro
diewrecked
Starting out

Post by diewrecked »

Hi there

Just bumping this thread, is there any news regarding the development of a solution to restore QNAP-created Glacier backups without needing a QNAP device?

Many thanks all

Return to “Amazon Glacier”