Does Restoring from Glacier work for anyone?

boblaublaw
Starting out

Does Restoring from Glacier work for anyone?

Post by boblaublaw »

Can anyone report success backing up *AND* restoring from Glacier?

I've granted my AWS backup user full access to glacier (and s3, because testing) and was able to save a backup to S3. Restore however, fails.
boblaublaw
Starting out

Re: Does Restoring from Glacier work for anyone?

Post by boblaublaw »

Wel, no replies yet - is the Glacier app supported by QNAP directly?

Our backup project is completely stalled by this issue.
smarts
New here

Post by smarts »

Yes it does. But you may need to adjust settings in AWS vaults to manage your data cap.

i.e. set to free with a large download the cap will block your restore. I normally set a low cap, i.e double the size of the vault I want to restore.
--
Smarts - TS-251+, 8Gb
NAS_hans
Getting the hang of things

Post by NAS_hans »

boblaublaw wrote:Can anyone report success backing up *AND* restoring from Glacier?

I've granted my AWS backup user full access to glacier (and s3, because testing) and was able to save a backup to S3. Restore however, fails.
You mention you "saved a backup to S3". What is the S3 storage class at the time you are trying to restore those files? Or do you mean you uploaded files directly into a Glacier Vault?

I will assume you uploaded to S3...if not, then the below does not apply.

If the S3 storage class is Glacier (note: this is different than uploading into Glacier Vaults directly!) than you need to restore those S3 files back to Standard storage class before restoring via QNAP app. In other words, restoring S3 objects with Glacier class is a 2-step process:

1 - restore from Glacier class to Standard class (files become available for downloading during the number of days that you specify)
2 - restore from S3 to NAS using QNAP app (I personally use HybridBackupSync app)

I stopped using direct uploads to Glacier Vaults, because I had the requirement to "browse" my AWS content. And there was no way to "browse" Glacier vault when uploading via QNAP apps.

So I switched to S3 + lifecycle rules and that works quite nice.

Return to “Amazon Glacier”