Unable to Create new Backup job

mfsd
New here

Unable to Create new Backup job

Post by mfsd »

Hi...
I have a TS-219P II running FW: 4.2.2 and the latest version of the Glacier app.

I was trying to create a new Backup job to a vault that I had just created, and it says "Because the vault inventory is updated once a day. You can not use this vault for Backups..... Create a new Vault"
I have even try creating new vaults, but it does not help.

Any ideas? :'

/MS
mfsd
New here

Re: Unable to Create new Backup job

Post by mfsd »

This problem happen when you create the vaults using the AWS Console, and then create the backup job.
Solution: Let the backup job in the QNAP create the Vault.
8skin8
New here

Post by 8skin8 »

Thank you for posting this. Helped me too.
NoelProf
First post

Post by NoelProf »

Confirmed as of 11/22/2016: Creating vaults on AWS then trying to create a backup job on the QNAP doesn't work. Like mfsd said, Let the backup job on the QNAP create the Vault. Your IAM user must have the ability to create vaults so that's not ideal.

Thanks mfsd!
mrfroggg
Starting out

Post by mrfroggg »

I have this, I add to reset my QNAP after upgrading to 4.3.2 in early december, so lost all my configuration, like my scheduled jobs that were configured in Glacier.

Now, I am trying to recreate my job to continue backuping up my files in my vault and I can't, I have this exact error message.

Is there a way to use the same vault..?
I don't want to start backuping up again my 490GB of data (RAW photos) in a new vault..
lehrblogger
Starting out

Post by lehrblogger »

@mrfroggg Unfortunately I never found a way to back up to my existing vaults when I was facing a similar issue. There are a couple of related threads about where you might find some ideas though:
mrfroggg
Starting out

Post by mrfroggg »

It seems that QNAP Glacier and/or Hybrid Backup App is unable to download the Inventory/Catalog from Glacier (which can take up to 10 hours).

Kind of a big flaw here from QNAP :(
larryebaum
Starting out

Post by larryebaum »

Anyone have a solution around this? Seems to still be an issue...

As part of troubleshooting another QNAP problem, (HDStation failures), QNAP support insisted I reinitialize my system. As a result, I've had to reconfigure all settings and I now have lost ability to resume backups or restore to my 5TB glacier vault. I'm chasing this around with QNAP now, but they seem 'surprised' of this limitation in their product...

I'm thinking there is perhaps a way from CLI to perform API call (?) to AWS to get the needed inventory info that would enable the client to resume backup and retrieve where it left off?

Ideas?
SgtRock
First post

Post by SgtRock »

Did you ever get anywhere with this? Am considering using Glacier for a cloud backup of approx 1TB of data but the whole point is surely if you have a catastrophic loss of the NAS to be able to restore the cloud backup to a new device. Looks impossible if the QNAP cannot request the inventory from an existing vault and forces the creation of a new one. For me that defeats the object of the cloud backup in the first place which is a shame as Glacier is pretty cheap.
EnigmaticSoul
Starting out

Post by EnigmaticSoul »

Is there still no status change to this after >2 years? I just tried switching from the "legacy" Glacier app to the new HybridBackup, but found exactly the same problem described herein. Found the same problem with the S3 app: when trying to backup to a bucket & folder currently managed by the "legacy" S3 Plus app, I get the error message "The folder is not empty. Please use a new folder." Creating a new folder in my S3 bucket is possible, however suggesting that I need to re-upload my entire Glacier vault is laughably impractical (would take several weeks of uploading).
gregdog
First post

Post by gregdog »

Is anyone aware of any updates on this? I am using the Hybrid Backup and am currently backing up to a new vault.
BUT, after reading this thread I worry about restoring an archive from this vault after some sort of disaster/rebuild event.

I believe I could retrieve the archive via the AWS CLI, but the retrieval would likely come down to my workstation but I haven't tested this yet. Ideally I could do a restore from the QNAP Hybrid Backup app so the archive restore from this vault would come back directly to the NAS itself.

Comments?
Cryptic
Starting out

Post by Cryptic »

3 years later and this is still an issue. 3 years.

I have quite a large vault already in Glacier, and now that the source data is on a QNAP it would be really nice if I could continue to use that vault.

Return to “Amazon Glacier”