Overlapping Backup Jobs

rjspring
Starting out

Overlapping Backup Jobs

Post by rjspring »

I noticed after one of the prior updates that jobs will overlap (if a large daily job is still running when the next day's job is scheduled to kick off) and cause an error and the jobs will hang.

The application used to not allow jobs to overlap, and would skip a scheduled job if it was still running from a prior instance. Does anybody know if we can submit 'helpdesk' tickets for the Glacier app since it looks like QNAP has tied it into the 'remote backup' function (bundle of apps that all basically work the same way for the different cloud storage options)?

I'm hoping this can be fixed, otherwise I'll have to schedule the jobs weekly or monthly and open the possibility of data loss on days it doesn't run.
QNap - TS-453 Pro
lehrblogger
Starting out

Re: Overlapping Backup Jobs

Post by lehrblogger »

My jobs take less than 24 hours so I haven't had this particular problem, but for what it's worth, I tried submitting a generic request through the new Helpdesk app this morning. I simply linked to a few of these forum posts, since there doesn't seem to be anyone from QNAP monitoring this board.

As a workaround for your scheduling problem, could you chain your jobs together in a cycle, with each starting after another finishes? If you can't chain a job to itself, you could maybe create a dummy job (perhaps with bad credentials and a long timeout) to create some space in between runs. I haven't tried it, but it might be worth a shot.
rjspring
Starting out

Post by rjspring »

@lehrblogger

Thanks for the ideas. In a perfect world, they would fix the app to work like it used to where the job wouldn't run if a prior instance was still running - so I'll try the helpdesk route to see what happens.
QNap - TS-453 Pro
rjspring
Starting out

Post by rjspring »

For anyone following this thread, it looks like the new 'hybrid backup station' (https://www.qnap.com/en/tutorial/con_sh ... ne&cid=211) is going to be the preferred backup application in place of the standalone glacier app. This new application will not run a scheduled job if the prior scheduled job is currently running.
QNap - TS-453 Pro

Return to “Amazon Glacier”