New Glacier Storage Profile Error

gatorheel
New here

New Glacier Storage Profile Error

Post by gatorheel »

I'm trying to set up Hybrid Backup Sync (HBS) to use Glacier but am getting an error. Here are the steps I followed:
  • On AWS: set up a new account which I've given programmatic access and AmazonGlacierFullAccess permissions. Recorded keys.
  • In HBS: Storage Space -> Create Storage Space -> On cloud -> Amazon Glacier. Account "New Profile" -> "Settings"
  • Entered Access and Secret keys as generated by AWS/IAM Console. Left "Enable secure connection (SSL)" and "Validate SSL Certificate" checkboxes ticked.
On pressing OK I get an error: "Cloud storage authentication failed." with "OK" as the only option which returns me to the "Create Account" dialog. However, AWS shows that the credentials were used. Not sure how to proceed-- any tips? FWIW I also tried creating a Profile first (Profile -> Create) and got the same error.

Thanks,
Matt
coffeemonk
New here

Re: New Glacier Storage Profile Error

Post by coffeemonk »

I'm encountering the same issues setting up a new IAM user and profile on my aging QNAP TS-439 Pro. I've been searching, but so far turned up nothing helpful here in the forum, apart from some mention of needing to add a payment method to my AWS account which still hasn't resolved my authentication issue...

I'm largely unfamiliar with AWS, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
m@
coffeemonk
New here

Post by coffeemonk »

I guess I finally cleared the hurdles, 'cause I'm now able to login. It seems AWS is extremely obtuse in the steps required to complete the AWS account setup. After and beyond providing billing information, I ended up having to manually navigate to the AWS console, which then prompted me to "Complete my AWS Signup," part of which was verifying the account by automated phone call. Once that call was complete, I was able to authenticate and complete the setup of my vault and HBS storage profile.

Wanted to be sure to post this here for the next person who runs afoul of AWS not sufficiently prompting users on necessary steps.
dobri
New here

Post by dobri »

WARNING: The QNAP advise to setup a new AWS account and use the key for setting up QNAP backup is EXTREMELY BAD IDEA. In fact during the creation of AWS account those keys are almost automatically deleted and you are strongly advised to never attempt to use those keys. Why? Because those keys have unlimited access to your account, which means anyone in possession of those keys can consume unlimited amount of resources on AWS and YOU will be responsible for paying for those - AWS will automatically charge you at the end of the month.

What should you do instead? You should create a separate IAM account, give it permission to only consume AWS S3 service AND setup some forms of billing alerts, so you get notified when your bill exceeds your budget. If anyone obtains the access keys for that IAM user that person can still consume unlimited AWS resources that you will have to pay for those, but since the access is limited to S3 (which is storage) you have limited the damage. Note that the billing alert on its own won't stop the resource consumption and limit your liability, you have to take that action manually and promptly.

If this is too complex for you just buy a USB drive, plug it into the NAS, do your backup there, unplug it and (optionally) store it outside of your own home.

Return to “Amazon Glacier”