Amazon S3 Status 'Authentication failure'

bevrash
New here

Amazon S3 Status 'Authentication failure'

Post by bevrash »

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post in the forum after recently upgrading to a proper NAS (FreeNas, Airport Disk etc). I've been winging it for a while with no real redundency other than BackBlaze on the important files but unfortunatley BackBlaze doesn't support the NAS (which I knew before purchase) and I had planned on using S3 for archiving the important files.

Issue: Authentication failed when attempting to create a replication job to AWS S3.

Having read all the related posts about the same issue, I have checked the system time, firmware, and network setup and basically concluded I need to open a support ticket with QNAP. The new Beta firmware release doesn't look like it includes a fix for this issue.

I recently upgraded to a TS-470 with WD Red 2TB drives configured in a RAID5. Previously I was juggling everything on a MAC Airport and EXT drives and I've had data loss, no surprise. Below is a high level of my network setup.

Wireless Devices --> Airport (Disk=File Sharing Enabled, Printer, WAP=2.4 & 5 Ghz, Router Mode=DHCP only, Internet=Static IP) -> Gigabit switch port 1 (ProCurve 1800-24G) —> Thompson Technicolour TG587n (DHCP scope, Standard firewall)

For the purpose of troubleshooting the issue I have removed the second ethernet interface connection from the NAS to the switch, only one is connected now (Ethernet1 (1 GbE), DHCP=Yes, IP Address=10.0.0.*, SM=255.255.0.0, GW=10.0.0.138, VLAN=None (no VLANs configured yet on the switch).

I have also removed the Airport from the network as I was suspicious of this causing some bottleneck or issue I can’t debug (Nice one Apple!).

Anyone have any ideas not already mentioned in the forum before I try QNAP support?

Details:

Model name: TS-470
Total Memory: 1832.5 MB
Firmware Version: 4.1.1 Build 20141101
Single Port (Ethernet 1)
No port trunking
ElephantDrive connected and running as expected
I’m using Mac OSX Yosemite 10.10.1 to connect to the NAS

Cheers!
bevrash
New here

Re: Amazon S3 Status 'Authentication failure'

Post by bevrash »

Work around found: I have found a few suggestions to use the QNAP S3 Plus app and it worked straight away for me. I guess the native app built into the firmware for the device falls over at the authentication layer for some users?!

I'm surprised no one chined in to comment here after this time, surely there must be folk in similar situations?!
MikeJeezy
New here

Post by MikeJeezy »

How did you fix? My S3 authentication from the QNAP all of a sudden started failing the last few days. I can log in fine with the same credentials via an S3 browser.

Model: TS-469L
Firmware Version: 4.1.1
MikeJeezy
New here

Post by MikeJeezy »

My time sync was off. After syncing the time with the internet it worked.
Zee99
New here

Post by Zee99 »

Hi, im also having the same authentication error. i have synced the clock using NTP (pool.ntp.org) on the NAS but still having the same problem.

i used firefox to log into the S3 account and that worked fine, i even created a bucked and a directory from within firefox as suggested.

im using TS-459 Pro II software 4.1.2

Any other suggestions?
sskally
New here

Post by sskally »

I'm not sure if anyone has resolved this, however I found the AWS IAM policy wasn't sufficient for my user. Although I'd restricted it to the minimal List bucket and GET / PUT, the QNAP software appears to use the list buckets / get bucket location to do the authentication check.

I used the following Policy to allow me to authenticate

Code: Select all

{
    "Version": "2012-10-17",
    "Statement": [
        {
            "Effect": "Allow",
            "Action": [
                "s3:GetBucketLocation",
                "s3:ListAllMyBuckets"
            ],
            "Resource": "arn:aws:s3:::*"
        },
        {
                "s3:GetObject",
                "s3:PutObject",
                "s3:DeleteObject"
            ],
            "Resource": [
                "arn:aws:s3:::<bucket-name>/*"
            ]
        },
        {
                "s3:ListBucket"
            ],
            "Resource": [
                "arn:aws:s3:::<bucket-name>"
            ]
        }
    ]
}
where <bucket-name> is the name of the bucket
gspiegelberg
New here

Post by gspiegelberg »

Same problem. Just bought a TS-453be updated firmware to 4.3.6.0959 (2019/05/31). Time is sync'd, current and correct. Used same AWS access key id and secret using CLI utility on other machine and it works however the QNAP responds with "Authentication Failure".

More info on AWS CLI I used:

Code: Select all

# aws --profile qnap s3 ls s3://myBucket-name-here/
                           PRE backups/
Guidance?

Return to “Amazon S3”