Daily backup does not start

mwehner
New here

Daily backup does not start

Post by mwehner »

I have tried to create a backup that starts daily after hours and it never starts. I can manually start the backup and it works fine. Am I missing something in the set up?
bugyou3
Know my way around

Re: Daily backup does not start

Post by bugyou3 »

Post crontab -l output.
Qnap Community Forums - No spam and no idiots in charge. Move now!
mwehner
New here

Post by mwehner »

Capture.PNG
I don't know what a crontap -l output is but I have attached the general tab and clout tab. Does this help?
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bugyou3
Know my way around

Post by bugyou3 »

No. Log in via SSH and post the output of

Code: Select all

crontab -l
mwehner
New here

Post by mwehner »

I appreciate you trying to help but I am new to QNAP and networking. I don't know where the SSH is and also where to find the output of. I do know I followed the S3 app in setting up the automatic back up and it works when I manually start the back up. It doesn't work when I select to schedule periodically, specifically 'daily' at a any time after work. As you can see from the attached clip of the dashboard that the last finished job was "Quickbooks " that I manually started even though it was supposed to start automatically. Same thing for the "Estimates" job... it was supposed to start automatically but I had to manually start. And I am sure that the next job to run "Quickbooks" will not start as well, even though it has a start date of today at 13:00.
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bugyou3
Know my way around

Post by bugyou3 »

Getting help from community assumes you are able to provide relevant information and produce some effort on your own. Not "I am new and have no idea what's SSH." Scheduled tasks are run by cron and we need to see the crontab to check what's really scheduled there, not what the GUI thinks it scheduled.

Move to QNAP support. http://helpdesk.qnap.com/
mwehner
New here

Post by mwehner »

So... bugyou3 bugs me and the help desk hasn't responded yet. Is there anyone out there who would be willing to help?
bugyou3
Know my way around

Post by bugyou3 »

Noone can help you without any information provided... If you could not be bothered to find out how to use SSH for the one week since you posted this, apparently you can as well wait for QNAP's response.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

mwehner wrote:I have tried to create a backup that starts daily after hours and it never starts. I can manually start the backup and it works fine. Am I missing something in the set up?
If you would at least provide answers to the questions in article: When you're asking a question, please include the following, especially Question #1, we would at least be able to help you to access your NAS via SSH.

If you are unable (or unwilling) to access your NAS via SSH, then there is absolutely nothing that bugyou3, myself, (nor anyone else in this Forum) can do for you, because your Crontab file can not be even "viewed" via the NAS Admin WebUI. If you can't access the command line of the NAS (via SSH), then no one here can help you at all with this particular issue.

To be able to troubleshoot this properly, you either need shell access to the NAS, or you need to defer service to the QNAP Helpdesk, by opening a ticket. Please access your NAS via SSH and provide the output of the:

crontab -l
command as originally requested by bugyou3, or open a ticket instead. We are more than happy to help you, but we can't do anything for you without the output of this command.

PS: Your original message is probably being ignored by other people, due to the lack of provided information, again, especially the answers to article: When you're asking a question, please include the following

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
Xelena
Starting out

Post by Xelena »

I have much the same issue. I had it year(s) before as well and then somehow solved it (I don't remember how). And I've only now discovered (because I wanted to copy a back-up'd file back), that the Backup Station has no longer run the daily tasks since June 24th, which really shocked me! – On June 23rd/24th it was, when - due to a power breakdown - the system started (correctly) again (I can see this in the system log).
No_Daily_Backup.jpg
No problem to start the backup jobs manually, they work fine. But no automated start in the night. Why not?
Here is the crontab list:

[~] # crontab -l
# m h dom m dow cmd
0 3 * * * /bin/rm -rf /mnt/HDA_ROOT/twonkymedia/twonkymedia.db/cache/*
0 4 * * * /sbin/hwclock -s
0 3 * * * /sbin/vs_refresh
0 3 * * * /sbin/clean_reset_pwd
0-59/15 * * * * /etc/init.d/nss2_dusg.sh
30 7 * * * /sbin/clean_upload_file
0 3 * * * /etc/init.d/ImRd.sh bgThGen
0 3 * * 0 /etc/init.d/idmap.sh dump
30 3 * * * /sbin/notice_log_tool -v -R
*/5 * * * * /mnt/ext/opt/NotesStation/bin/cronjob_notestation.sh
0 */1 * * * /mnt/ext/opt/NotesStation/bin/rss_sync.sh
*/5 * * * * /mnt/ext/opt/NotesStation/bin/cronjob_svc_watch_dog.sh
32,2 * * * * /mnt/ext/opt/NotesStation/bin/verify_address.sh
4 3 * * 3 /etc/init.d/backup_conf.sh
30 7 * * * /usr/local/sbin/version_cleaner -t 0 > /dev/null 2>/dev/null
21 23 * * * /usr/bin/qcloud_cli -c
System: TS-420, Version 4.1.1 (2014/10/03)
Hardware = TS-420
Firmware = 4.2.2 Build 20161214
Surveillance Station = Version 5.1.1.0 (2016/09/26)
Xelena
Starting out

Post by Xelena »

Nobody there with an idea, a tip?
Hardware = TS-420
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Xelena wrote:Nobody there with an idea, a tip?
Oddly, external-drive backup jobs are not triggered by cron. :S

It seems that the qsyncman process launches qsync with the required job at the right time.

With no job running:

[/share] # ps | grep qsync | grep -v grep
13298 admin      1864 S   /usr/bin/qsyncman
And after an external-drive backup has automatically started:

[/share] # ps | grep qsync | grep -v grep
 9030 admin      4248 D   qsync -j:Job400 -c:/mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/qsync/extdrv.conf 
13298 admin      1864 S   /usr/bin/qsyncman
Suggest you go to: Backup Station, External Drive, Options, Event Logs, and ensure "Download detailed logs" is ticked.

Then edit your current backup job schedule for a time only a minute-or-two from now.

Wait to see if it runs automatically. Either way, have a look at the detailed log afterwards.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Xelena
Starting out

Post by Xelena »

Issue solved(?) on my side:
When the system stopped running the backup task automatically (months ago), this was following a power breakdown, which means, the system was not shut down in a clean way. After the power was available again, the NAS started but obviously did not restart the automated backup processes to the external drive. Since then the NAS had never been shut down again. – I restarted the NAS only some days ago, and after the clean shutdown and restart the backup processes run again correctly for several days now.
Conclusion:
If the NAS was abruptly shut down (due to a power breakdown e.g.), and it is then up and running again, it seems to be recommended to restart the system intentionally after all disks (mirrored disks) are back in normal function, as otherwise the QNAP may have "forgotten" such automated backup task.

Thanks, OneCD, for your support. I will look at the logs etc.
Hardware = TS-420

Return to “Amazon S3”