S3 "Standard - Infrequent Access" storage class

bluemeerkat
New here

S3 "Standard - Infrequent Access" storage class

Post by bluemeerkat »

Hi,

Just experimenting with saving from S3 Plus to S3 for my backups. I don't need the full "Standard" storage class for these, but don't want the delays implicit in using Glacier. So I like the look of "Standard - Infrequent Access" pricing (less than half of "Standard".

However, I can't see any option in the S3 Plus configuration to specify that uploaded files should be stored as "Infrequent Access".
According to Amazon the storage class is specified in the PUT message from the S3 client... so it is up to S3 Plus to supply this information.

Is this supported by S3 Plus?

(I tried setting Infrequent Access for the target S3 folder using the Amazon console, but the files uploaded to there seem to have ignored that and are all "Standard").

Thoughts, suggestions or alternative apps I can run (on a TS-251) to achieve this would be greatly welcomed.

David
bluemeerkat
New here

Re: S3 "Standard - Infrequent Access" storage class

Post by bluemeerkat »

No replies? I hadn't realised I was posing such a difficult question.

It just seemed natural that an S3 backup app would support an option to specify the S3 storage class to use, particularly if it saves more than half the storage costs.
Or am I missing something so obvious?

(Workaround is to set the storage class from Amazon's on S3 Management Console - but it's just an extra unnecessary step that you then have to remember to do - rather than the ideal "set and forget" configuration).

Anyone got a better approach? Maybe a different app?

David
berndmr
New here

Post by berndmr »

Use LifeCycle in the AWS S3 Console to move all Files in the Container to "Stanard-IA" after 0 Days.
SteveFS
First post

Post by SteveFS »

I'm intending to do a similar thing, I'm concerned that if we setup a rule to move data to infrequent access storage the QNAP won't see it in S3 storage and will back it up again duplicating the upload and storage requirement.

The customer in question has 2TB plus of data so this could be a really big deal. Does anyone now if this will happen or if we'll be ok?
yusuflimz
First post

Post by yusuflimz »

berndmr wrote:Use LifeCycle in the AWS S3 Console to move all Files in the Container to "Stanard-IA" after 0 Days.
Minimum amount for this rule is 30 Days so this won't work.
bluemeerkat wrote:Hi,

Just experimenting with saving from S3 Plus to S3 for my backups. I don't need the full "Standard" storage class for these, but don't want the delays implicit in using Glacier. So I like the look of "Standard - Infrequent Access" pricing (less than half of "Standard".

However, I can't see any option in the S3 Plus configuration to specify that uploaded files should be stored as "Infrequent Access".
According to Amazon the storage class is specified in the PUT message from the S3 client... so it is up to S3 Plus to supply this information.

Is this supported by S3 Plus?

(I tried setting Infrequent Access for the target S3 folder using the Amazon console, but the files uploaded to there seem to have ignored that and are all "Standard").

Thoughts, suggestions or alternative apps I can run (on a TS-251) to achieve this would be greatly welcomed.

David
The way this needs to happen is we need QNAP to have a check box / radio button with the option to specify Infrequent Storage. (they already have an option for Reduced Redundnacy).

The option needs to have the uploads with the HTTP Header:
Header name: - x-amz-storage-class
Header value: - STANDARD_IA

============================================================================

At the moment uploading to Standard Access and I have a lifecycle Rule.

But the cost of the transfer is the same price as the upload to Infrequent Access. So you pay for the upload to standard, then pay for the transfer to IA.
Would be better if we could mitigate that cost by uploading directly to IA
dchang0
Starting out

Post by dchang0 »

I too am waiting for this feature. Vote++
doozr
New here

Post by doozr »

This is a feature of the bucket, not of the backup. You need to set up the lifecycle on the bucket itself to move files to infrequent access after 30 days. This is handled totally independently of the backup process.

Return to “Amazon S3”