S3 Plus incremental backup

hupfis
First post

S3 Plus incremental backup

Post by hupfis »

How can I activate the incremental backup in S3 Plus (V. 1.1.387).
I have only found the option "backup only updated files" - see attached german screenshot.

Is this what I need to check or is there anything else to do in order to have an incremental backup in place?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sitsekson
New here

Re: S3 Plus incremental backup

Post by sitsekson »

Hi, did you get any confirmation of that? I don't think this option works!
NAS_hans
Getting the hang of things

Post by NAS_hans »

sitsekson wrote: I don't think this option works!
I am also looking to do incremental backups from NAS into Amazon S3. Just curious: why do you think it doesn't work? What behavior are you seeing?
NAS_hans

Post by NAS_hans »

Ok, I have tested the incremental backup using Hybrid Backup Sync app for backup to S3.

The option "backup only updated files" does work. The only issue is that the file calculation (bottom left corner) does not respect this setting, so it looks as if the setting does not work.

I backed up a folder with 5 files to S3. A couple of days later I added a 6th file. I then selected the entire folder for backup, and file calculation says that 6 files will be backed up.

But then when I run the actual backup, it says correctly that only 1 file will be updated. The S3 bucket also shows only 1 new file after backup is complete.

Theoretically there is a chance that MODIFIED files work differently then NEW files, but I will need to test that later.

I also need to mention that I transfer all my S3 objects to Glacier class 1 day after uploading. So theoretically there is a change that my NAS tries to backup all 6 files, but that files 1-5 can't be changed due to the Glacier storage class.
NAS_hans

Post by NAS_hans »

Well, it definitely works. I've tested by modifying 1 out of 6 previously backed up files (just changing the timestamp for the file) and it uploads correctly when using the "backup only updated files" option. The remaining 5 files are left unchanged in my S3 bucket.

The storage class for this updated file was reverted back from Glacier class to Standard class, which is correct.

I will probably be charged an early deletion fee from Amazon, but that's part of the game when using Glacier storage class :-)

Return to “Amazon S3”