Best practice for office backup to Amazon S3 + Seperate NAS.

ukez
Know my way around

Best practice for office backup to Amazon S3 + Seperate NAS.

Post by ukez »

I'm just trying to establish the preferred method for backing up for a friends office scenario, any advice welcome.

A friend of mine has a team of users currently all using mapped shares from the QNAP server back to their PC's. Pretty much all the shares need backing up nightly to an Amazon S3 account, and locally to a separate Western Digital NAS located on the same locally hard-wired gigabit LAN in a separate building on the same premises.

They have a fair bit of data in total so far, around 2TB which all needs to go up to the cloud (Nightly), or at the very least their daily file creations or changes. Plus they need some secondary form of backup across the LAN (At anytime day or night) to the WD NAS in another part of the premises.

What would be the correct method or application onboard the QNAP to complete these tasks most effectively, particularly with regards to the nightly cloud backup which is obviously going to take a while especially if it was going to be doing a full backup.
Before you criticise a man walk a mile in his shoe's, that way if he's angry he's a mile away and barefoot.

Return to “Amazon S3”