Having trouble

ruvain
New here

Having trouble

Post by ruvain »

Hello,

I'm interested in creating cloud backup jobs that will allow me to save different versions of files that have changed. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble saving and restoring files that have multiple versions.From what I have learned so far, versioning of files backed up by NAS jobs can occur in one of the following ways:

1. Versioning management is handeled by the bucket (subject of conifuguring it for supporting versionning)
The moment an upload occurs, if an file already existnfg was altered, the one in the cloud is archived and
latetst version is the one on up front.

2. Versioning management is handeled by the backup app of the NAS (HBS) This limitted and subket of the target destination of the job. As long as the destination of the backup is locally on the NAS or a directelly connected stroage device, , then the job can be configured as versioning supporting. This option disappears when the destination is not local.

3. Provided the aforementioned, versions on the cloud are not managable or reconizible for restoring from back up jobs.
this leaves the end user to the hands of the unfriendly user interfacre of the web storage interface of the bucket.
since my end user are not technology oriemted, this a fault I need toovercome as I want let them be able to self serv themselvs, as I not part of thir prganization.

I found a possible work arround that takes the need of using the Container Station app. I found that here are outhere ready made containers implemnting the FUSE protocol. This implementation (if I got it right), knows how to map a cloud bucket, wrap it in way as if it the storage in the ccloud would have a file system and also map it as a local storage device.
Becasue if so, the path for creating a so called "local storage back job" to the cloud, with the advantages of file versioning option, is right up there. If somone does have experience, I would greatlly appreciate getting some guidence on how to setup and run a the container needed for that mission.

Chears
P3R
Guru

Re: Having trouble

Post by P3R »

ruvain wrote:2. Versioning management is handeled by the backup app of the NAS (HBS) This limitted and subket of the target destination of the job. As long as the destination of the backup is locally on the NAS or a directelly connected stroage device, , then the job can be configured as versioning supporting. This option disappears when the destination is not local.
No it doesn't but as far as I know it requires the use of RTRR as transport protocol when non-local, so really limited to having another Qnap as backup destination.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
ruvain
New here

Post by ruvain »

Thanks for replying!

The goal I have is providing not only the secure terms, in case something happens to the NAS, but also, an eassy way for the users, to recover the data without the need of using the unfriendlly user interface (for thse who are not real Technically-Oriented People).

The concept of allowing the end users to browse a folder to find their older files versions is what guides me trough. in your reply you'd said:
P3R wrote:No it doesn't but as far as I know it requires the use of RTRR as transport protocol when non-local, so really limited to having another Qnap as backup destination.
Please accept my appologies for bothering you by asking for further explanation. I am very new to this and may fail to understand the neuances.

1. I fail to undertand your reply. Do you actually think that the idea of mapping a bucket trough a local folder using the FUSE protocol over a container, is not feaseble for fooling the NAS to think that job's storage target is local??

2. You'd also mentioned the need of using RTRR transport protocol, can you tell under which context or configuration, should that protocol be implemnted, and how, while the cloud is target storage rather then a 2nd NAS I don't have?

Thanks again!
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

ruvain wrote:The goal I have is providing not only the secure terms, in case something happens to the NAS, but also, an eassy way for the users, to recover the data without the need of using the unfriendlly user interface (for thse who are not real Technically-Oriented People).
Be aware that allowing end user access to your backups may be a security issue in itself. Especially if it's the only backup of the NAS.
Please accept my appologies for bothering you by asking for further explanation. I am very new to this and may fail to understand the neuances.
No problem, we have all been newbies with this at one point.
Do you actually think that the idea of mapping a bucket trough a local folder using the FUSE protocol over a container, is not feaseble for fooling the NAS to think that job's storage target is local??
I don't know enough about the details to know and that is why I didn't try to answer that part before. If you want my guess, then that's that it won't work.
2. You'd also mentioned the need of using RTRR transport protocol, can you tell under which context or configuration, should that protocol be implemnted, and how, while the cloud is target storage rather then a 2nd NAS I don't have?
RTRR is Qnap-proprietary so only available on Qnaps, not in the cloud.

I didn't mention it as a solution for you but only as a clarification that versioned backups aren't only available on local media.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Amazon S3”