Can't create S3 Profile: Cloud authentication failed.

rollandburn
Starting out

Can't create S3 Profile: Cloud authentication failed.

Post by rollandburn »

Hi, I want to backup my NAS to Amazon S3 but am having trouble creating the Storage Space Profile in Hybrid Backup Sync. I recently created a Dropbox Profile with no problems and it works great for syncing. However, following through the Profile Wizard this time trying to create an S3 profile I get the following error after entering my S3 bucket's access key and secret key: "Cloud storage authentication failed".

I've tried with/without ssl and validation checked, same result. The box is a Qnap TS-873U on FW: 4.3.6.0805.

Do I have to make any configurations to the S3 bucket to allow the qnap to talk back and forth? I didn't see anything like that mentioned in the How-To article at https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... ackup-sync

Any ideas appreciated!
rollandburn
Starting out

Re: Can't create S3 Profile: Cloud authentication failed.

Post by rollandburn »

Anyone have any ideas? When creating a bucket or using S3 is there only one set of key/secret id's? Is there perhaps another set of keys specific to my account rather than the individual bucket i need to use instead?
rollandburn
Starting out

Post by rollandburn »

I know this sounds like a simple problem, and the solution probably is... can anyone recommend other ways to test access to my bucket? I've contacted Amazon support and they are asking for money to answer that question.
nithyav
First post

Post by nithyav »

Please re-check the below attributes in your S3 config file. Ensure you have "Allow" everywhere.
{
"Effect": "Allow",
"Action": [
"s3:CreateBucket",
"s3:GetBucketAcl",
"s3:GetBucketLocation",
"s3:GetBucketNotification",
"s3:GetBucketPolicy",
"s3:GetBucketRequestPayment",
"s3:GetBucketVersioning",
"s3:ListAllMyBuckets",
"s3:ListBucket",
"s3:ListBucketMultipartUploads",
"s3:ListBucketVersions",
"s3:PutBucketPolicy"
],
"Resource": "arn:aws:s3:::*"
},

if you wish to learn more about latest technologies like aws , i suggest you to check this site https://honingds.com
rollandburn
Starting out

Post by rollandburn »

Thanks, I assume the S3 config file is located somewhere on the qnap and I need to ssh in via command line to open the file?

However, I deleted my first bucket and am creating a new one to start again. In doing so, I think the reason qnap wouldn't connect to my first bucket is because of the Public Access settings. I left all the settings as-is when creating the bucket, upon further inspection they seem to deny public access by default. Could that be the cause of my authentication error on the Qnap?

I assumed because the Qnap article didn't mention anything specific regarding bucket configuration there were none. Do S3 buckets created with default settings allow for immediate connection? Or, are there permissions/access configurations that must be made before the qnap can connect?

These are the "Default" S3 Bucket Permissions
Block new public ACLs and uploading public objects True
Remove public access granted through public ACLs True
Block new public bucket policies True
Block public and cross-account access if bucket has public policies True
System permissions Disabled

Thanks for the link but honingds seems to be selling training courses on the topic of data science.
gspiegelberg
New here

Post by gspiegelberg »

Same problem. Just bought a TS-453be updated firmware to 4.3.6.0959 (2019/05/31). Time is sync'd, current and correct. Used same AWS access key id and secret using CLI utility on other machine and it works however the QNAP responds with "Authentication Failure".

More info on AWS CLI I used:

Code: Select all

# aws --profile qnap s3 ls s3://myBucket-name-here/
                           PRE backups/
Guidance?

Return to “Amazon S3”