HBS 3 backup on Amazon S3 (new Europe region - Milan) doesn't work

adalmoro
New here

HBS 3 backup on Amazon S3 (new Europe region - Milan) doesn't work

Post by adalmoro »

Hello,

I would to use the QNAP HBS 3 (Hybrid Backup Sync) application to backup my data on Amazon S3 (new Europe region - Milan).
When I schedule the target folder to backup data on the bucket, the system returns a network error trying to list the bucket's folders.

Below, the QNAP HBS 3 Hybrid Backup Sync log entry:
504 GATEWAY TIMEOUT {'error': {'error_code': 'cloud_network_error', 'message': "HTTPSConnectionPool(host='s3-eu-south-1.amazonaws.com', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /bucketname?list-type=2&delimiter=%2F&max-keys=1000&encoding-type=url (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x6bd01110>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -2] Name or service not known'))"}}

The s3-eu-south-1.amazonaws.com endpoint seems to be not reachable.

So, I contacted Amazon Technical Support that answered me "The s3-<region> endpoint format (with a hyphen instead of a period between "s3" and the region name) is a legacy format that is not supported for newer regions.
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/general/latest/gr/s3.html
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/la ... sting.html"

The only address reachable is s3.eu-south-1.amazonaws.com.

Is there any way to force the endpoint address in HBS 3?

Thank you for your support.

Best regards

Alberto
P3R
Guru

Re: HBS 3 backup on Amazon S3 (new Europe region - Milan) doesn't work

Post by P3R »

I don't know as I'm not a S3 user. Please ask Qnap support.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
adalmoro
New here

Re: HBS 3 backup on Amazon S3 (new Europe region - Milan) doesn't work

Post by adalmoro »

Thanks for your reply.

I've already written to the QNAP support (about 20 days ago) and they answered that unfortunately, there's none for new regions. However, they will inform their product managers about this request in order to consider this in future release.

In the meantime, I'm not able to backup my data to the Amazon S3 using the HBS3 utility. So, I would like to know if someone used a workaround for the issue.

I think that it's a recurrent issue for users that store data to new Amazon regions like mine (Europe - Milan).

Thank you for your support.

Best regards

Alberto
randmental
New here

Re: HBS 3 backup on Amazon Cape Town region

Post by randmental »

Same problem - can not use the new local Africa (CapeTown): af-south-1 region

Return to “Amazon S3”