I made a new Sync task .
I found no difference between the backup and the sync task
No errors anymore :roll:
paradoxdesign
Starting out

Re: Webdav and stack (TransIP)

Post by paradoxdesign »

To continue this issue.
I used to be able to make my backups to TransIP, encrypted with the backup sync software on my qna, until recently. It looks like making an encrypted backup over WebDav isn't posssible anymore.
I can stil make a backup without encryption (but don't want that) and it's slow as hell. If I am to believe what the software has calculated, it would take me 128 days for a 140Gb backup to finish.
It would be a blast if both Qnap and TransIP would support more protocols like SFTP and rsync over ssh.
Anyway, it's broken. Even made a call to QNAP (online support request) for it and they say transip's implementation of webdav isn't compatible. But I'm told they are making a request to support
TransIP webdav.. keep your fingers crossed.. :)
worthbiggles
Getting the hang of things

Post by worthbiggles »

I can confirm that. I raised a ticket because my backups with HBS 3 to Stack (Transip) had all sorts of problems.

1. First problem is that if you stop the backup the first time before it finish the total amount of backup, then the next time it wont run further then the amount it stopped the first time you run the backup. Example: Total amount to backup = 100 Gb. The first time i run the backup, the backup is stopped at 10 Gb. The next time you run the backup job it wont go further then 10Gb.
2. All file extensions are changed to : LG==EXT So a file called i_am_a_word_document.docx wil get changed into i_am_a_word_documentLg==docx. A JPG file will get changed into AAAA.JPG -> AAAALg==JPG
3. Large backup tasks will stop after sending a large amount files with the notification: [Hybrid Backup Sync] Failed to complete Backup job: "Fotos_Stack". Failed to connect to cloud storage service after multiple attempts.

Before using the HBS 3 app i used the WebDav app. with this app the backups would run.

After raising the ticket the response was :

Dear Customer,
WebDAV protocol in HBS3 is compatible with WebDAV server (QNAP NAS), SME CloudDAV, DriveHQ, myDrive, and OpenDrive (this note is written in the bottom of this page: https://www.qnap.com/solution/hbs3/en/).
We don't support Stack from TransIP currently. I will make a feature request to our product manager for their evaluation. Thank you.

I am not aware to track this feature request. I did ask them about it but the response was:

We do not provide timeline for feature request as this will undergo to Product Managers approval and discussion. Please understand, thank you.

So i need to find another cloud backup solution for at least 600 Gb.
Any hints ?

Regarsds,

Biggles.
DiaLogical
Starting out

Post by DiaLogical »

Made any progress in your search? Or using Duplicati in docker as well?
worthbiggles

Post by worthbiggles »

DiaLogical wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:40 pm Made any progress in your search? Or using Duplicati in docker as well?

It seems that they have been working to support Stack.
I only have minor issues at the moment with the backups to Stack.

Still working on those issues (getting errors on mp4 and mov files, saying that they are corrupt).

Regards,

Biggles.
DiaLogical
Starting out

Post by DiaLogical »

So you don't have the

Code: Select all

Failed to connect to cloud storage service after multiple attempts.
error anymore (especially with large sync jobs)?
worthbiggles

Post by worthbiggles »

DiaLogical wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:52 pm So you don't have the

Code: Select all

Failed to connect to cloud storage service after multiple attempts.
error anymore (especially with large sync jobs)?
I just checked and on one job i still have the same errors. On the other jobs i dont. Weird.
Difference is many small documents vs many larger photos. The latter has no issues.
Fsaad1984
Starting out

Post by Fsaad1984 »

How I do it now is create a local backup in HBS to an external 2.5" 1TB HDD. Subsequently I run a Sync job in HBS from the backup folder on my external HDD --> STACK (keep in mind that the first step may take a while, so don't schedule the two tasks to close together).
This works without any issues or errors (bigger and smaller files), and doing it this way you will still be able to restore different backup versions (which in case of direct sync would not be possible).
QNAP TS-673
worthbiggles

Post by worthbiggles »

Fsaad1984 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:02 pm How I do it now is create a local backup in HBS to an external 2.5" 1TB HDD. Subsequently I run a Sync job in HBS from the backup folder on my external HDD --> STACK (keep in mind that the first step may take a while, so don't schedule the two tasks to close together).
This works without any issues or errors (bigger and smaller files), and doing it this way you will still be able to restore different backup versions (which in case of direct sync would not be possible).

Hi Saad,

I will check that method.
Meanwhile i raised another ticket with Qnap about the Disk error. Check NAS disks.
Will update.

Biggles.
snabuurs
First post

Post by snabuurs »

Fsaad1984 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:02 pm How I do it now is create a local backup in HBS to an external 2.5" 1TB HDD. Subsequently I run a Sync job in HBS from the backup folder on my external HDD --> STACK (keep in mind that the first step may take a while, so don't schedule the two tasks to close together).
Thanks for this suggestion, this indeed seems to work!

I am running into the same issues as others outline above. When implementing this solution, I discovered an other possible (shorter) workaround. You can set up a sync from HBS to STACK and select "Copy" action (not the default "Mirror" action). This result in a behaviour which is very similar to a non-versioned Backup, without the need for the external HDD set in between.

I ran some preliminary tests, and this seems to work well for me (also when you interrupt it, and continue at a later point).
etn
New here

Post by etn »

You can set up a sync from HBS to STACK and select "Copy" action
Indeed, this did the trick for me. No failures, no strange file-extensions (==.jpg) anymore!
Fsaad1984
Starting out

Post by Fsaad1984 »

Now that the free version of STACK (which I am using) is coming to an end in a a few months, I am reconsidering my options. Stick with STACK and upgrade to the paid version (which is still cheap compared to other cloud services), or switch to another service which has better support with QNAP.

What are you guys considering?
QNAP TS-673
worthbiggles

Post by worthbiggles »

Just might be the right time to walk away and join one of the services which are better supported.

Short list of interesting companys:

mihos
Stack
Strato
Dropbox
Icedrive
backbalze b2
Jotta
pcloud

Regards,

Biggles.
tjarb
Starting out

Post by tjarb »

worthbiggles wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:06 am I can confirm that. I raised a ticket because my backups with HBS 3 to Stack (Transip) had all sorts of problems.

1. First problem is that if you stop the backup the first time before it finish the total amount of backup, then the next time it wont run further then the amount it stopped the first time you run the backup. Example: Total amount to backup = 100 Gb. The first time i run the backup, the backup is stopped at 10 Gb. The next time you run the backup job it wont go further then 10Gb.
2. All file extensions are changed to : LG==EXT So a file called i_am_a_word_document.docx wil get changed into i_am_a_word_documentLg==docx. A JPG file will get changed into AAAA.JPG -> AAAALg==JPG
3. Large backup tasks will stop after sending a large amount files with the notification: [Hybrid Backup Sync] Failed to complete Backup job: "Fotos_Stack". Failed to connect to cloud storage service after multiple attempts.

Before using the HBS 3 app i used the WebDav app. with this app the backups would run.

After raising the ticket the response was :

Dear Customer,
WebDAV protocol in HBS3 is compatible with WebDAV server (QNAP NAS), SME CloudDAV, DriveHQ, myDrive, and OpenDrive (this note is written in the bottom of this page: https://www.qnap.com/solution/hbs3/en/).
We don't support Stack from TransIP currently. I will make a feature request to our product manager for their evaluation. Thank you.

I am not aware to track this feature request. I did ask them about it but the response was:

We do not provide timeline for feature request as this will undergo to Product Managers approval and discussion. Please understand, thank you.

So i need to find another cloud backup solution for at least 600 Gb.
Any hints ?

Regarsds,

Biggles.

I also used the webdav sync app in the passed, worked fine with stack (payed version). Now stuck on the HBS3 sync app which only fails. I don't understand the " we don't support stack", it's just plain webdav interfacing.
Also fails for.the simple usb-disk storage. It's totally crap the apps, it's garbage and we rely on it with 4TB of data.

I'm moving to Microsoft sync.
rvamerongen

Post by rvamerongen »

Ik did give up. After several questions and still the issue's specially with the error's and file naming ( am using macOS file naming ) I give up. No more webdav and TrasnsIP Stack.

BTW, I did go to Mihos.nl
Same pricing, using RSync. I will check it for a few months.
If someone know something bad about Mihos please inform me.
QNAP TS-453A - 4GB-RAM - 16TB - QTS 4.3.4 - RAID 10

Return to “WebDAV-based Backup”