Why "Failed to update virus definitions" ?

ChrisJ7903
Starting out

Why "Failed to update virus definitions" ?

Post by ChrisJ7903 »

I have a new TS-251+ with one 700GB thick volume (so far). Everything seems to working fine except I keep getting this notification:

Message: [Antivirus] Failed to update virus definitions. No storage volume detected. Create a new volume.

Q1: What is the likely cause of these messages? Does the anti-virus need a dedicated volume?

Q2: I am considering setting the NAS up so it's not at all accessible from the internet, to use as a simple backup device and media server. As any file put on the NAS will be from a clean computer I would prefer to disable the anti-virus altogether. How would I do this?

Thanks in advance ...
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Why "Failed to update virus definitions" ?

Post by dolbyman »

A1: Probably no System Volume Setup or the System Volume was removed
A2: Never ran any A/V on my NAS, it does not protect the NAS itself and all clients have A/V builtin .. no need... Just Uninstall the A/V and be done with it
ChrisJ7903
Starting out

Post by ChrisJ7903 »

Thanks @dolbyman. I will probably just uninstall the A/V.

Apart from A/V should I have setup a "System Volume" for other reasons? I just followed basic QNAP install guidance, and certainly never removed a System Volume.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Normally the first setup volume is the system volume (says "System" behind it)

I don't think you can setup a system without creating a system volume (I mean unless you run the system without volumes at all, e.g. setup a pool and just run a bunch of block ISCSI LUN's on it)
ChrisJ7903
Starting out

Post by ChrisJ7903 »

My only disk volume definitely has that System tag ...

I did create a Static Volume first, then deleted it and created the Thick Volume, so maybe McAfee is still looking for that static vol

Return to “McAfee Antivirus”