McAfee self re-installs on TS-451+ firmware 4.3.4.0435

empire29
New here

McAfee self re-installs on TS-451+ firmware 4.3.4.0435

Post by empire29 »

a few months ago i noticed my TS-451+'s CPU was pegged at 100%, and looked at the resource monitor and saw the culprit was mcafee, which was a shock since i actively avoid mcafee and symantec products (for this exact reason).
mcaffee.png

I stopped, and removed McAfee - and oddly had to restart my Qnap since the mcafee process stuck around even after i had removed it from the app center (??).

A month or two go by and i notice my CPU is pegged again... same story. McAfee is magically re-installed, killing my CPU, and i have to stop/remove/restart.

Another few weeks go by and today, i see mcafee is back taking 100% of my CPU.

I checked my Qnap Antivirus settings (which i believe is for ClamAV and not McAfee anyhow) and that is disabled. I dont see any settings that would auto-install (or even auto-update) apps from the App Center, so my question is two fold:

1) Why is McAfee self-reinstalling itself without my permission?
2) How do I stop McAfee from re-installing/re-starting without my permission?

In classic McAfee fashion, their software is as disruptive as any virus. Also, oddly, the McAfee version i was installed (today atleast) was 1.3.2 .. and i noticed in the app center, that the mcafee version is 2.0.0 ... so is this somehow re-installing itself from files ON my Qnap?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
P3R
Guru

Re: McAfee self re-installs on TS-451+ firmware 4.3.4.0435

Post by P3R »

I'm guessing that your NAS is compromised and infected with malware disguising as McAfee. It's probably mining crypto currency for some bad guy now.

Download, install and run the Malware Remover app and see if that helps.

If it doesn't, contact Qnap support and above all disable internet access to it.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
empire29
New here

Post by empire29 »

@P3R - i installed Malware Remover and checked the logs after it ran, and it said i was clean. I'll contact Qnap support next.

FWIW checking the logs when McAfee was reinstalled it does seem like it coincided when i was doing configuration work on the Qnap; this last instance coincides w the general time frame i was setting up Homebridge via Container Station.
poecke
New here

Post by poecke »

I've the same problem. Using TS-453 Pro with 4.3.4.0486

I've tried also the following:
Stopped McAffe (tasks still running) - reboot the system - tasks are gone, mcaffee is disabled. - after some days it is running again.
Stopped McAffe (tasks still running) - reboot the system - deinstall mcaffee - reboot the system - tasks are gone, mcaffee is not listed in the app list - now mcaffe has been reinstalled and is running again

So do you have something new from support?
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

poecke wrote:Stopped McAffe (tasks still running) - reboot the system - deinstall mcaffee - reboot the system - tasks are gone, mcaffee is not listed in the app list - now mcaffe has been reinstalled and is running again
What NAS services have you exposed to the Internet?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “McAfee Antivirus”