McAfee vs. Built-in Antivirus

cbragwel
Starting out

McAfee vs. Built-in Antivirus

Post by cbragwel »

What does the McAfee App offer that's better than the built-in Antivirus that's worth paying a subscription?
pwilson
Guru

Re: McAfee vs. Built-in Antivirus

Post by pwilson »

cbragwel wrote:What does the McAfee App offer that's better than the built-in Antivirus that's worth paying a subscription?
IMHO both are equally worthless. Save your money.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
bucho
Starting out

Post by bucho »

Noting Patrick's thoughts, I'm also interested in knowing any additional benefits the paid McAfee software provides? More comprehensive and up to date definition files?
wilsodg
Know my way around

Post by wilsodg »

Jumping on this thread because I have come to the conclusion that the inbuilt CLAM-AV is not worth running. It seems to come up with a lot of false positives - so many that we ignore it, so why run it? Whenever we re-scan reported issues we have never found a problem.

We run ESET on workstations which seems ok (it seems everyone has their own favourites) and I was wondering if anyone had attempted to load this on a QNAP. They apparently have a Linux (2.6) build. I'm on a 670 pro and a 569 pro, latest 4.1 build.

What's wrong with McAfee? I have heard it hogs resources but since my processors aren't overly used that would be ok for me. I'm more interested in accuracy.

Another approach is to assume that the only devices connecting to my NAS's are protected by an AV package of some sorts anyway, so why bother protecting the NAS?

I'm interested in constructive comments - saying something is useless without qualifying the statement is not much help..
TVS-872XT with TR-004 and D800C
TS670Pro with UX500-P expansion
TS569Pro
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

wilsodg wrote:What's wrong with McAfee?

I'm interested in constructive comments - saying something is useless without qualifying the statement is not much help..
Perhaps, you could just Google it? :idea: :roll:
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
ITEngineer
Easy as a breeze

Post by ITEngineer »

So what's the best defence against the ransomware for the QNAP file server NAS ?

So far I have make sure that the endpoint (all workstations accessing this NAS) is running Symantec Endpoint Protection antivirus.
--
Regards,

IT Engineer
wilsodg
Know my way around

Post by wilsodg »

It depends on your use, but a lot comes down to good practise. For example, don't give write access to all users to everything unless they really need write access. Most users of our systems do not need write access to the bulk of the data, so they can only read.

Don't use Admin ID all the time - even for your use, log in with a user ID that has the access you require.

Take a look at other access to the NAS other than through file sharing (web serving, ftp etc) and control/restrict it

Look at backup. Who has access to the backup NAS? Ultimately, you need to prepare for a scenario where something does lock your files - offline backup or archive, and document what is where. Finally, test the backups to make sure you can recover.

In the end, it's about managing the risk. Client security and user education is a good start but there is no gold solution
TVS-872XT with TR-004 and D800C
TS670Pro with UX500-P expansion
TS569Pro
danno321
Know my way around

Post by danno321 »

QNAP folder is often mapped to other desktop os's file systems therefore it can be used to transfer viruses to other computers. Wherever files are stored AV should be used IMHO. ESET is is mostly programmed in assembler so it is light, fast, and accurate. Would be nice to have an option to run ESET.
TS-251A 2017 (previously TS-239 Pro 2009).
ITEngineer
Easy as a breeze

Post by ITEngineer »

danno321 wrote:QNAP folder is often mapped to other desktop os's file systems therefore it can be used to transfer viruses to other computers. Wherever files are stored AV should be used IMHO. ESET is is mostly programmed in assembler so it is light, fast, and accurate. Would be nice to have an option to run ESET.
Does the ESET AV must be purchased as annual subscription first ?
--
Regards,

IT Engineer
danno321
Know my way around

Post by danno321 »

ITEngineer wrote:
danno321 wrote:QNAP folder is often mapped to other desktop os's file systems therefore it can be used to transfer viruses to other computers. Wherever files are stored AV should be used IMHO. ESET is is mostly programmed in assembler so it is light, fast, and accurate. Would be nice to have an option to run ESET.
Does the ESET AV must be purchased as annual subscription first ?
Yes. Can be licensed every 2 years or maybe more with special order.
TS-251A 2017 (previously TS-239 Pro 2009).
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

Raptor25 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:17 pm
cbragwel wrote: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:38 am What does the McAfee App offer that's better than the built-in Antivirus that's worth paying a subscription?
I have a TS-412, the most recent firmware I can install is 4.3.3.1252 build 202004069

I tried updating the built-in (ClamXAV) antivirus using a main.cvd file from ClamXAV website, it hangs on the file being installed/updated into the NAS
Ther is no ClamXAV in the App Center website, I cant update using the NAS QTS App Center as my mac and NAS are connected to the router via wi-fi, as its not my router, I share my internet with others.

I read about possibly installing Linux antivirus via Entware, but that's not compatible with QTS Malware Remover, and Im hopeless at linux-unix command lines and have zero patience for screwwing with it either,prefer a GUI, faster and simpler.

HOW do I get a free anti-cirus that works on my NAS,or is it try that I don't need one? And if I don't need one, how am I supposed to protect the NAS from ransomware and other QNAP/NAS virus, malware and so on?

My mac has agree copy of MalwareBytes, but no RTS scanning as I don't want to payfor subscription, to be honest.

HELP!!

P.S. after reading about the zero security measures of CloudLInk and QnapCloud, Ii refuse to use either of those
stop necroposting!!! Open up a new thread with your issues than reopening old threads that are years old firmwares and NAS's that are totally different to current times.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55

Return to “McAfee Antivirus”