Username "pulse" - what created this? how is it used?

IT Management Station powered by Mandriva Pulse is designed to simplify daily tasks and IT asset management for businesses of all sizes. Administrators can benefit from the IT Management Station to centralize their management of multi-OS and multi-site IT assets.
ArielSE
Starting out

Post by ArielSE »

I just checked username accounts in Privilege Settings and found a new username "pulse". Theres also two groups "pulse" and "pulse-access". I didn't do this, I checked all my log files and I see no new user being created apart from what I created.

Anyone can elaborate if this is internal system use? Who/What/How it does/works? Have I been compromised?

Is this a result of creating a user in the Account Management under virtualization? Web enabling Virtualization Station?

Please advice.

Cheers!
ArielSE
Starting out

Post by ArielSE »

I just checked username accounts in Privilege Settings and found a new username "pulse". Theres also two groups "pulse" and "pulse-access". I didn't do this, I checked all my log files and I see no new user being created apart from what I created.

Anyone can elaborate if this is internal system use? Who/What/How it does/works? Have I been compromised?

Is this a result of creating a user in the Account Management under virtualization? Web enabling Virtualization Station?

Please advice.

Cheers!
AnatomicJC
Starting out

Re: Username "pulse" - what created this? how is it used?

Post by AnatomicJC »

Hi,

There is no user creation at IT Management Station install, no pulse or pulse-access group are created.
Only some shared folders are added: computers, imaging, isos, masters, packages, postinst and pulse.

Regards,
Hi, I'm one of Mandriva Pulse developers. Maybe I can help you with QNAP IT Management Station :-)
ArielSE
Starting out

Post by ArielSE »

thanks.
chahroun
Starting out

Post by chahroun »

Any findings on this pulse user yet? I was looking the forum since I noticed it on my NAS too and I was concerned it might be a virus! I don't even see anything in my log about this user being created nor did I see it previously. I just noticed it today. I installed the VM station today, but yesterday I was setting up xmbc and plex, so any of these could have created this account. But to my surprise it is not in the system log... So I'm still concerned it is a virus. Anybody else has this user "pulse"?
Colter
First post

Post by Colter »

Interestingly, if you go to this site: https://www.mandriva.com/en/qnap/ and scroll down to "Powerful features designed for your activity", the screen shot below it references a device name titled "Pulse".

Just a random spot there...
AnatomicJC
Starting out

Post by AnatomicJC »

IT Management Station is based on mandriva pulse software, That's all. It's not a device name, it is the name of the software.
I installed Mandriva Pulse many times, on many supports such as qnap, univention distro or standalone server and there is no pulse user created.
Hi, I'm one of Mandriva Pulse developers. Maybe I can help you with QNAP IT Management Station :-)

Return to “IT Management Station”